Important: Google Hangouts is now Google Chat. You can no longer access Hangouts on mobile devices or the web. Learn about the switch from Google Hangouts to Google Chat.
To maintain a positive experience for our users, follow these policies when using Google Chat ("Chat"). These policies may change. To learn more, go to Google's Terms of Service.
Spam & commercial use
- Spam is unsolicited and unwanted messages, including promotional or commercial content, and mass solicitation.
- Do not send (or help send) spam, large numbers of commercial messages, or automated messages or calls.
- Do not place calls that violate laws that prohibit unsolicited marketing calls (for example, "do-not-call" laws).
Fraud, phishing, & other deceptive practices
Do not use Chat for phishing, including:
- Asking for or collecting sensitive data, including but not limited to passwords, financial details, and Social Security numbers
- Using Chat to trick, mislead, or deceive other users into sharing information under false pretenses
- Impersonating another person or otherwise misrepresenting yourself or the source of a Chat message or call
We do not allow the transmission of:
- Trojan horses
- Corrupted files
- Destructive code
- Anything that may harm or interfere with the operation of networks, servers, or other infrastructure of Google or others
Do not use Chat in any way that exploits children, including:
- Child sexual abuse imagery or content that presents children in a sexual manner
- Child grooming, which is any action aimed at establishing a connection with a child to lower the child's inhibitions in preparation for sexual abuse, trafficking, or other exploitation
Google has a zero-tolerance policy against this content. If we become aware of such content, we will report it to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children as required by law. We may also take disciplinary action, including terminating the Google Accounts of those involved.
If you believe a child is in danger of or has been subject to abuse, exploitation, or trafficking, contact your local law enforcement immediately.
If you have already made a report to law enforcement and still need help, or you have concerns a child is being or was subjected to endangerment on Chat, you can report the behavior to Google.
You can always block any person to prevent them from contacting you on Chat.
- Do not use Chat to harass, threaten, or intimidate others.
- Do not incite others to engage in harassment.
Personal & confidential information
Do not distribute other people’s personal and confidential information, such as credit card numbers, Social Security numbers, or account passwords, without their permission.
Do not use Chat to promote, organize, or engage in illegal activities.
Google may disable accounts that are found to be in violation of these policies. If your account is disabled, and you believe it was a mistake, learn how to ask us to restore your account.