To reply to a Google Chat message, you can enter your text in the reply area or select a suggestion, if available.
Reply faster with suggestions
When you reply to a message, Chat might suggest phrases you can select to respond quickly. These Smart Reply suggestions show up based on the content of the message you received.See how suggested replies work
- Below the message, click the reply area.
- Enter your message or pick a suggestion.
If available, tap a Smart Reply suggestion to enter your response immediately. You can customize the message before sending.
- Press Return or click Send .
Tip: In a room, don't enter your reply at the bottom under New thread. That creates a new conversation thread instead of replying.
Turn off Smart Reply suggestions
You can turn off Smart Reply suggestions on a specific device. This won't turn it off on your other devices.
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Click Settings.
- Under Smart Reply, uncheck the box.
You can add these options to your message:
- Type Mention to add a person to the conversation.
- Click Upload to share files from your device. Everyone in a room can view shared files.
- Click Add a Drive file to share files from Google Drive. Everyone in a room can view shared Drive files.
- Click Add video meeting to start a video call.
- Click Emoji to add emojis to your message.