You can message a person or group in Google Chat the same way you do in classic Hangouts. You get the message in Google Chat, and your contacts get the message in the product they use: Google Chat or classic Hangouts.
Tip: Updated interaction for conversations between Google Chat and classic Hangouts is rolling out beginning December 2020 and only works if your organization has both Chat and classic Hangouts turned on. If you message someone in an external organization, their organization must also have both services turned on.
How different conversations in Google Chat and classic Hangouts interact
|Classic Hangouts||Google Chat|
|1:1 message||1:1 message|
|Group conversation with no name||New group conversation|
|Group conversation with name||Unthreaded room|
How classic Hangouts messages appear in Chat
Classic Hangouts messages in Chat
- Group conversations in classic Hangouts with a name can be viewed and replied to in Chat as unthreaded rooms.
- Group conversations in classic Hangouts without a name can be viewed and replied to in Chat as group conversations.
Tip: Unthreaded rooms and group conversations in Chat can also be viewed and replied to in classic Hangouts.
Message limitations between Google Chat and classic Hangouts
- Threaded rooms in Google Chat can’t be viewed or replied to in classic Hangouts. You can create an unthreaded room in Chat with the same people to continue using classic Hangouts.
- Pre-existing group conversations in Google Chat can’t be viewed or replied to in classic Hangouts. You can create a new group conversation in Chat with the same people to continue using classic Hangouts.
- When you edit or delete a Chat message, the message isn't edited or deleted in classic Hangouts.
How attachments appear in Google Chat and classic Hangouts
|Type||Chat to classic Hangouts||Classic Hangouts to Chat|
|Emojis||Forwards to classic Hangouts||Forwards to Chat|
|Images||Sends a link to the image||Forwards to Chat|
|Videos||Sends a link to the video||Sends a link to the video|
|Files||Sends a link to the file||N/A. Chat/classic Hangouts can't send files|
|Stickers||N/A. Chat doesn't have stickers||Forwards to Chat|
|Locations||N/A. Chat doesn't share location||Forwards to Chat|
|Reactions||Reactions don't show up in classic Hangouts||N/A. Classic Hangouts can't add reactions|
How video calls work between Google Chat and classic Hangouts
- Video calls from Chat to a classic Hangouts user: Chat uses Meet for video meetings. If you use Classic Hangouts, you get a link to the meeting.
- Video calls from classic Hangouts to a Chat user: Classic Hangouts has built-in video calls or the option to use Meet for video calls. If you use Chat, you get a link to the meeting.
Search for Google Chat or classic Hangouts messages
- If you use classic Hangouts, 1:1 messages are searchable in Gmail. If you use Chat, 1:1 messages are searchable in Chat.
- Group conversations and rooms: Classic Hangouts group conversations are searchable in Gmail. Chat group conversations and rooms are only searchable in Chat.