Categories describe your business and connect you to customers who search for the products or services you offer.
For example, if your primary category is “Pizza restaurant,” Google may show your business in someone’s local search results when they search for “Restaurants,” “Italian restaurants,” or “Pizza.” Your category is just one of many factors that can affect your local ranking on Google. Learn more about local ranking.
Depending on the type of business you operate, your category may also be used to assign a place label to your business.
Choose your category
Important: If the category you have in mind isn’t available, choose a more general category that still accurately describes your business. You can’t create your own category.
Choose a primary category that describes your business as a whole, and be specific when choosing a category.
- For example, choose “Nail salon” instead of “Salon.”
Use additional categories to let customers know more about your special departments or services. However, don’t add a category for every product or service. Use as few categories as possible to describe your overall core business from the provided list.
- For example, if you manage a grocery store that includes a pharmacy and deli, choose “Grocery store” as your primary category and add “Pharmacy” and “Deli” as additional categories. Learn more about how to choose categories.
If your business includes public-facing departments that operate as distinct entities, they should have their own profiles. Do not add their category to the main profile.
- For example, if your business is a health club that has an independently-operated cafe, don’t add the category “Cafe.” Instead, the operator of the cafe can create their own business profile with “Cafe” as their primary category. Learn more about departments.
Add or edit categories
To update the categories you use to describe your business:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- If you have multiple locations, open the location you want to manage.
- Next to your primary category, click Edit .
- To edit your primary category: Select your new category.
- To add another category: Click Add another category. Then, select the category you want to add.
- After you make your changes, click Apply.
Tip: If you add or edit one of your existing categories, you may be asked to verify your business again. This helps Google confirm that your business information is accurate.
Depending on your business category, you may notice special features available for your Business Profile. Here are some examples of category-specific features:
If the category you have in mind isn’t available, choose a more general category that still accurately describes your business. You can’t create your own category.
- Food and drink businesses can add URLs to their profiles for online orders, reservations, and their menu. They can also add menu items directly.
- Businesses that offer specific services, such as health and beauty businesses, can add a booking button to their profiles and update their menu of services.