Choose a business category
Categories are used to describe your business and connect you to customers searching for the services you offer. For example, if your primary category is “Pizza restaurant”, Google may show your business in local search results to people who search for “Restaurants”, “Italian restaurants”, or “Pizza” in their area. Keep in mind that your category is just one of many factors that can affect your local ranking on Google. Learn more about local ranking
Depending on the type of business you operate, your category may also be used to assign a place label to your business.
Choose your category
Choose a primary category that describes your business as a whole; don’t add multiple categories to list all of your products and services. For example, if your business is a health club that includes a cafe, don’t add the category “Cafe”. Instead, the operator of the cafe should create their own listing with “Cafe” as their primary category.
Be specific when choosing a category. For example, choose “Nail salon” instead of “Salon”. Use additional categories to let customers know more about the specific services your provide. If you manage a grocery store that includes a pharmacy and deli, you would choose “Grocery store” as your primary category and add “Pharmacy” and “Deli” as additional categories. Learn more about how to choose categories
Keep in mind
- You can’t create your own category. If the category you had in mind isn’t available, choose a more general category that still accurately describes your business.
- If you add or edit one of your existing categories, you may be asked to verify your business again. This helps Google confirm that your business information is accurate.
Add or edit categories
To add or edit categories for your listing:
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- For a single location:
- From card view, choose the listing you’d like to manage and click Manage location. If you’re viewing your locations as a list instead of cards, switch to card view by clicking the cards icon on the right side above your locations.
- Click Info at the top of the page.
- For multiple locations:
- From your list view, select the locations you’d like to manage. If you’re viewing your locations as cards instead of a list, switch to list view by clicking the list icon on the right side above your locations.
- Click the pencil icon in the top right corner of the page.
- Click the pencil icon next to your primary category. Edit your primary category, or click Add another category.
- Click Apply when you’re done editing. You may be asked to verify your business again if you’ve made significant changes.