When adding a photo to your location on your spreadsheet, keep in mind the following guidelines:
- Photos must be in one of these formats: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP.
- Each photo must be smaller than 5MB.
- We recommend adding photos that are larger than 720 x 720 pixels and smaller than 3000 x 3000 pixels.
- The longer dimension of the photo should be no more than twice the shorter dimension. Landscape photos look better than portrait photos on Google products.
- Each location can have no more than 25 additional photos.
- The photo should be in focus, well-lit, have no photoshop alterations, and no excessive use of filters. The image should represent reality.
If your photos don't fit these standards, we may not be able to display them on Google products.
Your Preferred photo is the photo that you want to appear first to users on Maps and Search results. Designate which photo you’d like to serve as your Preferred photo by entering “Logo” or “Cover” in the “Preferred photo” column of your spreadsheet. If you leave the “Preferred photo” cell blank for any location, your logo will be used.
Your logo can help customers identify the look and feel of your business when it appears alongside other photos associated with your location, and can help tell your business’s story.
Ranking of photos
We use several different signals to rank these photos, including size, quality, and content of the photo, to show users the most helpful pictures of a business. We try to put the very best photos of a business first. Factors taken into account in the ranking algorithm include:
- Resolution: is the image big enough?
- Aspect ratio: is it too wide or too tall?
- Focus: is the image blurry?
- Contrast: is the image dull or vibrant?
- Source: is the image from the business owner or a 3rd party?
Photos from business owners who are verified will often, though not always, rank higher than other photos from third parties.