Google Assistant uses your information to provide more personalized results. In the sections below, you can learn more about what Google Assistant does with your data and how you can control what data is used.
How your data is used to personalize your Google Assistant experience
Google Assistant provides built-in controls that are easy to use so you can choose the privacy settings that are right for you. Depending on your device and account setting choices, Google Assistant may use your data to create a more personalized and helpful experience. Below are a few common questions that we get about how Google Assistant might use your data.
You asked: Is Google Assistant accessing my emails?
Google Assistant may show you information from Gmail to help you get things done, like tracking a package or reordering food. It can also help you compose your emails or read them aloud. Gmail content isn't used for ads. Learn more about Gmail privacy and security features.
You asked: Is Google Assistant accessing my pictures?
Depending on your settings, Google Photos can be displayed on your devices such as TVs and Google Assistant Smart Displays. You can:
- Control who sees your photos, including whether and when to share them.
- Ask Google Assistant to show your photos, if you have personal results turned on.
- Set up your Smart Displays to show photos, like in Ambient mode.
- Prevent your Google Photos from displaying on Google Assistant devices. Learn more about Photos privacy and security features.
You asked: How is Google Assistant using my information?
Google Assistant can reference data in your Google Account to get you what you need when you ask for help, depending on your settings in Your data in the Google Assistant and other Google Assistant settings, like Personal results and Voice Match.
What data your Google Assistant records
You asked: Is Google Assistant storing my data?
If you have Web & App Activity turned on, your Google Assistant activity, such as your conversation history or the questions you asked your Google Assistant, is stored in your account and shown in My Activity. You can:
- Turn off Web & App Activity at any time.
- Choose to auto delete your activity after 3 or 18 months, or keep it until you delete it manually.
- Manually delete your activity at any time.
- Turn on Guest Mode to use Google Assistant without your Google Assistant activity being saved to your account or used to personalize your experience.
You asked: Does Google Assistant save my audio recordings?
You can view or delete your Google Assistant activity in your account at any time. Learn how to delete your Google Assistant history.
Google is always working to help people understand and manage their data.Choose what you share with Google Assistant
There are a few settings that help give you a more personalized experience on Google Assistant. You can choose to turn these settings on or off at any time:
When you turn off these settings, you turn them off for your Assistant and other Google services you use. Learn how these settings personalize your Google Assistant experience.
If you don’t want Google Assistant to read or show results specific to you on your device, you can turn off Personal results for that device. When you turn off Personal results, your Assistant won’t give you personalized results including results from other Google products and services, like Gmail or Google Calendar. Learn how to manage personal results for your Google Assistant-enabled devices.
If you want Google Assistant to give personal results but don’t want your photos from Google Photos to show on your smart displays or TVs, you can turn off access to Google Photos:
- Open the Google Assistant app .
- At the top right, tap your Profile picture or initial Videos & photos.
- If you don’t find your profile picture or initial, first tap .
- Turn off Google Photos.
You can control what data Google uses to personalize ads to you in your Ad settings.
If you have Web & App Activity turned on, your interactions with your Assistant are saved in your Google Account and shown in your Google Assistant activity in My Activity. You can delete your Google Assistant activity at any time or change your auto-delete settings. Learn how to delete your Google Assistant activity.
You can also ask your Google Assistant to delete activity from your account. For example, you can say:
- “Hey Google, delete my last conversation.”
- “Hey Google, delete today’s activity.”