Control your Smart Display
For most actions, you can control the screen with your hands or your voice.
On Smart Displays, the Google Assistant is available in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish.
Use your screen
- Wake up your screen: Tap it or say "OK Google."
- Go back to the previous screen: From the left edge of the screen, swipe right or say "Go back."
- Go to the Home screen: Swipe right or say "Go Home."
- Monitor & control smart devices: From the Home screen, swipe down or say "Show me my home view." To see home control options, tap a device type or group, then choose a specific device.
- Start screensaver (ambient mode): From the Home screen, swipe right or say "Go to ambient."
- Turn off your screen: To make the screen dark, swipe right twice or say "Turn off the screen." Your screen will automatically turn off when the room is dark or you haven’t used it in a while.
Note: Your screen is still on even when it’s dark.
Change your screen settings
- Brightness: Swipe up, then change the brightness. To have your screen change brightness automatically, tap Brightness .
- Volume: Swipe up, then change the volume. Or say "Turn it up" or "Turn it down."
- Silence incoming calls and notifications: Swipe up, then tap Do Not Disturb . You’ll see missed notifications on the Home screen.
Note: Alarms and timers still work when Do Not Disturb is on.
Your screen can show personal photos, weather, or other backgrounds when you’re not using it.
- Open the Google Home app .
- At the bottom, tap Home your speaker or Smart Display.
- In the upper right, tap More Ambient mode settings.
- Choose what to show in ambient mode.
To have your Smart Display show a photo album that automatically updates, learn how to set up a Live Album.
If you turn on personal results for your Smart Display, you will automatically see personal results like upcoming calendar events and commute info, as well as personalized YouTube video recommendations, on your home screen and as notifications. Anyone near the device can see, tap, and act on them.
To stop them from showing on the home screen and as notifications:
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Home app .
- At the bottom, tap Home your Smart Display.
- At the top right, tap Device settings Recognition & Personalization.
- Under "How personal results appear," select Never show proactively.
Note: When you turn off personal results, you will also stop seeing personal results on your home screen and as notifications.
Turn your camera on or off
On most devices, you can use the switch on the top of your Smart Display to control your camera.
Turn your microphone on or off
On most devices, you can use a switch on the back of your Smart Display to turn the microphone on and off.