Assistant driving mode helps you complete actions while you drive. With your voice, you can read and send messages, make calls, and control media.
Important: Some features aren't available in all languages or countries.
What you need
An Android phone with:
- Android Version 9.0 or higher
- 4 GB RAM or more
- Portrait mode only
- Location in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, or United States
- For your safety and convenience, dock your phone while in Assistant driving mode.
- To get message notifications:
- Tap Settings Apps & notifications Advanced Special app access Notification access Google.
- Turn on Allow notification access.
- To make calls and send messages to your contacts : Grant device contacts permission.
Start driving mode
You can start driving mode on any screen, or use it automatically in Google Maps navigation.
On any screen
- Update your Driving mode settings to notify you when you are connected to your car's bluetooth.
- If you do not receive the notification to launch driving mode, check your Driving mode settings.
- On your phone, connect to your car bluetooth. Connect through Bluetooth on your Android device.
- Once bluetooth is connected on your phone, tap the notification to launch driving mode.
- If you prefer to automatically launch driving mode without a notification, tap Settings. Then, under, "When connected to a car's bluetooth," tap Launch driving mode.
Tip: You can also say, "Hey Google, let's drive."
When you navigate in Google Maps, driving mode starts automatically.
- On your Android phone, open the Google Maps app .
- Search for your destination or tap it on the map.
- Tap Start.
Tip: You can also say, “Hey Google, navigate to [destination].”
What you can ask Assistant driving mode
Tip: To use commands, you can either say “Hey Google,” or before you speak, tap Microphone .
- Make a call: Say “Make a call” or “Call [contact].”
- Answer a call: Assistant will say “Call from [contact], do you want to pick it up?”
- Send a message: "Send a message to [contact]” or “Send a message.”
- Get your messages: “Read my messages.”
- Listen to music: “Play [artist],” or “Play [genre].”
Use App Launcher
App Launcher gives you quick access to apps you can use while you drive, like YouTube Music, Google Podcasts, or other music providers.
Important: Recommendations given by apps like Spotify or Pandora are based on your history in those apps, not Google.
- Start driving mode in the Google Maps app .
- In driving mode, at the bottom right, tap App Launcher .
- Tap an app.
Important: If you turn on call settings for driving mode, incoming calls will automatically be announced.
You can manage driving related settings for Assistant, turn driving mode on or off, and have Assistant manage your incoming calls and read and reply to your messages while driving.
- On your Android phone or tablet, say "Hey Google, open Assistant settings."
- Tap Transportation Driving mode.
Tip: You can also access settings in driving mode or the Google Maps app.
- Settings through driving mode: Tap App Launcher Settings .
- Settings through the Google Maps app: Tap Your profile picture or initial Settings Navigation settings Google Assistant settings.