Query Time import
Query time import applies to extended data import types. Query time import allows you to join your imported data with historical data (hits that have already been collected and processed by Analytics). This means you can update and refine your reports that use imported data as new information becomes available. You can also correct any erroneous or incomplete uploads using Query Time import.
|This feature is only available in Google Analytics 360, part of the Google Analytics 360 Suite.
Learn more about the Google Analytics 360 Suite.
Import mode refers to the way Data Import handles the details of when and how your imported data is joined with collected hit data. By default, Analytics uses processing time mode for most import types. In processing time mode, hit data is joined with uploaded data as the hits are received and processed. Analytics 360 customers also have the option of using query time mode for all extended data import types.
Processing time import mode
In this mode, hit data is joined with uploaded data as the hits are received and processed. Reporting on imported data using this mode is quite fast. This is the default mode for most types of data that you import. However, processing time mode has two disadvantages:
1) Historical hit data cannot be joined with uploaded data. In other words, hits received before the offline data is uploaded are not joined.
2) Processing time import is irreversible: once joined, imported data cannot be unjoined. Deleting an upload file simply prevents further hits from joining with this data. For this reason, you should create a test view for processing time import types prior to implementing uploads for your production data.
Query time import mode
In query time mode, imported data is joined with hit data when a report requests (queries for) the data. As a result, the imported data can be joined to both historical hits as well as to hits received after the data is uploaded. Custom reports and unsampled reports can access data imported using Query time mode.
Query time import mode offers the following advantages over processing time mode:
1) Historical hit data can be joined with uploaded data.
2) Query time imports are reversible: if you delete the uploaded data, even historical reports will no longer show the joined data.
Configuring query time mode
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Click Admin, and navigate to the property to which you want to upload the data.
- In the PROPERTY column, click Data Import.
- Click +New Data Set (or edit an existing Data Set).
- Select the Data Set Type. (for example, "Content Data")
- Provide a name for the data source (for example, "Author Data").
- Select one or more views in which you want to see this data.
- Define the Data Set schema by selecting the Key and Target dimensions. See the Data Sets article for more information.
- Select the Query time mode.
- Click Save.
Limits of query time mode
Query time import mode is a 360 only feature. Processing time import is available to all users.
It may take some time—up to several hours—after your upload has been completed before the data begins to be joined with incoming hits.
Query time mode currently cannot be used with the following Analytics features:
- Cohort reporting
- Multi-Channel Funnels
- Realtime reporting
- AdWords cost data
In addition, you cannot use a Data Set that defines a date-based schema key (e.g., for dimensions that change over time).