In this article:
- User-ID values are not assigned by Analytics
- Data collection begins after implementation
- Availability of data from product integrations
- The Universal Analytics guidelines and policies apply
- Opting-out of Analytics
- User-ID data can't be merged
- Remarketing audiences based on User-ID data are ineligible for some destinations
- Related resources
User-ID values are not assigned by Analytics
Analytics cannot generate, assign, or manage the unique IDs that are assigned as User IDs. In a typical scenario, IDs can be generated through your authentication system, passed to an account when a user signs-in, and then sent to Analytics. (You can, however, set up User-ID in different ways, and are not limited to associating it with account sign-ins.)
Data collection begins after implementation
User-ID can only collect data after you’ve implemented the feature. Implementation includes the generating unique IDs, assigning IDs to returning users, and sending IDs and all related engagement data to Analytics. Any data in your Analytics account collected and recorded prior to implementation cannot be reprocessed and associated with a User ID.
Availability of data from product integrations
Data from the following product integrations is available in User-ID views:
- Google AdWords
- DoubleClick Search
Data from the following product integrations is not available in User-ID views:
- DoubleClick Bid Manager
- DoubleClick Campaign Manager
- DoubleClick for Publishers
Universal Analytics guidelines and policies apply
The User-ID feature is built for use with the Universal Analytics technologies. All implementations must comply with the Analytics Measurement Protocol / SDK / User ID Policy. The Universal Analytics usage guidelines, and security & privacy principles also apply.
Opting-out of Analytics
User-ID data can't be merged
The User-ID feature can be implemented on any Universal Analytics property, but data collected in one property cannot be shared or mixed with data in another property. Google Analytics 360 users can use Roll-Up Reporting in conjunction with User-ID to aggregate data from multiple properties into a single property.
Remarketing audiences based on User-ID data are ineligible for some destinations
If you create Remarketing audiences from data in User-ID views, those audiences are not eligible to activate in Google AdWords, DoubleClick Bid Manager, or DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Analytics opt-out browser add-on
- Security & privacy principles in Universal Analytics
- Universal Analytics usage guidelines
- Benefits of using the User-ID feature
- Overview of the User-ID feature