Set up the Analytics tag
- If you have not already done so, create a property in Google Analytics. Create one Analytics property for each website you want to collect data for. Creating a property generates a Google Analytics ID, which you'll use in your gtag.js installation.
- Find your Google Analytics ID, as described below. You'll use this Google Analytics ID in your setup.
- Copy and paste the global site tag to each web page you want to measure. Add the tag right after the opening
<head>tag on each page.
Find your Google Analytics ID
To find the Google Analytics ID:
- Sign in to your Analytics account.
- Click Admin.
- Select an account from the menu in the ACCOUNT column.
- Select a property from the menu in the PROPERTY column.
- Under PROPERTY, click Tracking Info > Tracking Code. Your Tracking ID is displayed at the top of the page.
The Global Site Tag
The global site tag is several lines of programming code that you'll need to paste on to each page of your site. Your customized global site tag appears in a text box under the heading "Global Site Tag (gtag.js)".
- Copy the entire contents of the text box.
- Paste it immediately after the
<head>tag on each page of your site.
<!-- Global Site Tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
... (several lines of customized programming code appear here)
Verify that the tag is working
To verify that the tag is working, visit your website and check to see that your visit is being registered in the Real-Time reports.
You can also use Google Tag Assistant to determine whether your tag is implemented correctly.