Increase your eCPM and fill rate for video
The following techniques can be used to increase your overall eCPM and fill rate for Ad Exchange video. Depending on your goal, you may want to focus on just one optimization, or both. Different sets of recommendations are shown for each.
Increase pre-roll video inventory
Pre-roll ads have higher demand than mid-roll and post-roll ads.
Configure minimum CPM based on video inventory demand
If the floor price (minimum CPM) for your video inventory rules are too high, your fill rate could suffer.
You set different minimum CPMs for inventory with different demand patterns. For example, if one site receives more traffic than another, it is likely more attractive to advertisers, and may receive higher bids. To optimize your video ad revenue, you may need to decrease the minimum CPM for inventory that receives less traffic.
Learn more about best practices and optimization tips.
Take advantage of Preferred Deal or Private Auction opportunities
Increase fill rate
Allow overlay ads
Overlay ads add a source of demand to serve when there isn’t a TrueView or standard video ad available.
Monitor the minimum CPMs set up in your video rules
If your minimum CPMs are too high, you may filter out a significant number of the advertiser bids on your inventory and as a result not serve ads.
Verify that all of your sites are classified, when using Network Partner Manager
If your account has the Network Partner Manager (NPM) feature enabled, you should make sure all of your sites are classified. If your sites aren't classified, ads are not served to those sites. Learn how to classify your sites.
Set values for the video content parameters in your ad tags
You can pass video content metadata to increase your fill rate using the
vid_t (video title),
vid_d (video duration), and
vid_kw (video keywords) parameters in your video ad tags. Learn more about Ad Exchange video tag parameters.
Set the description URL parameter in your ad tags
If Ad Exchange cannot pick up the content URL (the URL where the video ad is shown) programmatically, the description URL can also be used to categorize and rate the content on the page. Advertisers can see the content category (vertical) and rating (G, Teen, Mature, and Not Rated).
Moreover, make sure that all of the required Ad Exchange video tag parameters are correctly set and encoded in your video ad tag. The description URL is the URL of the page that contains the player that is making the request. This is required if you use Ad Exchange for dynamic allocation.
Remove any unnecessary buyer or advertiser blocks *
The blocking options that you apply to your account can impact your coverage. Bear in mind that any ads that you block won't compete in the auction on your site. Blocking options include the following:
- Block branded or anonymous buyers
- Block too many buyers and advertisers
- Block general categories
- Block advertiser URLs
- Non-opted into ad technologies
- Limit the allowed ad types
- Limit the maximum allowed ad duration via:
- Pricing rules
- Explicit tagging (maximum_ad_duration and sdmax)
- (For DFP Publishers) Maximum ad duration settings for Ad Exchange video creatives
- If you're using Ad Exchange's network partner manager feature and you haven’t classified all of your sites.
- Improper use of Google's Interactive Media Ads SDK.
- Most of your traffic is going to mobile devices. Coverage on mobile platforms is lower than that of desktop.
Read more about the modification of buyer/advertiser block settings.
* This excludes sensitive categories and known sales channel conflicts.
Increase eCPM and fill rate
Enable TrueView video ads
TrueView ads are skippable video ads that allow viewers to skip the ad after 5 seconds. The advertiser is only charged for engaged viewers, or those that have watched 30 seconds of the ad or until completion, whichever comes first.
- There is more demand for TrueView ads over other video ad types because advertisers only pay for engaged views.
- Trafficking TrueView ads can help publishers retain more viewers by giving the viewer the option whether or not to watch an ad. Some viewers would rather leave the site than watch an ad.
To enable TrueView ads, ensure eligibility with the Ad Exchange for Video Policies and contact your account team.
Opt-in to both branded and anonymous video inventory
- Advertisers prefer to bid on branded inventory. If a publisher is only anonymous, there is no incentive for an advertiser to bid on their inventory unless the advertiser has a history of bidding on the anonymous publisher's inventory.
- You may set a lower minimum CPM for anonymous inventory than for branded, to capture impressions from advertisers with bids lower than your branded minimum CPM. This premium allows advertisers to know which inventory they are bidding on.
To opt into both types of inventory, learn how to regulate your content through rules and ensure both the "Branded" and "Anonymous" options are selected for your video inventory.
Ensure maximum ad duration for your video ads is at least 30 seconds
You can increase the demand for your inventory by increasing the number of eligible ads. To do this, allow a higher maximum ad duration for your video ads.