Get negative keyword ideas for search campaigns
Beyond the negative keywords that you come up with, you can use the search terms report to get more ideas on terms to add as negative keywords. The report shows actual terms that people searched for which both triggered your ad and led to a click. As you browse the report, you may spot some search terms that are related to, but isn’t exactly, what you sell.
This article shows you how to use the search terms report for negative keyword ideas that help you better target customers interested in your product or service.
Before you begin
If you’re new to negative keywords, learn more About negative keywords.
Choose the AdWords experience you're using. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Keywords tab.
- Select the checkboxes next to the keywords that you'd like to run a search terms report for, then click the Search terms button above the table.
- You'll be taken to the Search terms tab, which shows the details for your selected keywords. To see details for all of the keywords in your report, click the "Show all" link.
- Check the boxes next to the keywords that you'd like to add as negative keywords, then click the Add as negative keyword button.
Make sure that your negative keywords don't overlap with your regular keywords, because this will cause your ad not to show.
- You can choose to add the negative keywords at the ad group level, or at the campaign level.
- Click Save.