About Lightbox ads
Reach, captivate and delight your potential customers with interactive Lightbox ads. When people engage with Lightbox ads by clicking, tapping or hovering, the ads respond. They may expand to fill the screen, display videos or allow people to tap through a set of images.
Now responsive, Lightbox ads automatically adapt to fit ad spaces across the Display network.
Before you begin
For instructions on creating a Lightbox ad, go to Create a Lightbox ad.
Here are some of the benefits of using Lightbox ads:
- Connect with the right customers: You can target your ads using all the different Display Network targeting methods available, such as affinity audiences. In addition, you only pay when people interact with your ad – for instance, by hovering over your ad for two seconds.
- Captivate your audiences: By using online resources you might already have like videos or catalogues, you can create compelling ads that people can actually explore. For example, you can create an ad that expands to a full-screen canvas, or you can create an ad that plays a video within the page.
How Lightbox ads work
Lightbox ads are available in standard Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) sizes. When people interact with these ads, they see images or videos within the ad or in an expanded canvas. For instance, on computers, people hover their cursor over the ad for two seconds in order to engage with it. On mobile, consumers can tap on the ad to prompt the engaged state. Lightbox is designed to reduce accidental engagements, providing a better experience for customers and better value for advertisers.
Lightbox ads automatically resize to fit standard IAB-sized ad spaces. This automatic resizing can help you reach more of your potential audience across the Google Display Network. It also lets you tailor your campaign to audiences using mobile devices, computers, or both.
How does billing work?
You have two bidding options for Lightbox ads:
- Viewable cost per thousand impressions (vCPM)
- Cost per engagement CPE bidding (through “awareness” and “engagement” marketing objectives)
For vCPM bidding, impressions are charged when 50% of the ad’s pixels are visible for more than 1 second.
For CPE bidding, engagements are charged when the user engages with the ad. For expandable ad spaces, “user engagement” means that the user hovers, clicks or taps to expand and the ad has time to load and be seen. For pre-expanded ads (like interstitials), “user engagement” means that the user interacts with the ad after it displays.
- Find instructions in Create a Lightbox ad.