Track calls from ads
Use conversion tracking to help you see how effectively your call-only ads and ads with call extensions lead to phone calls.
This kind of conversion tracking tracks a call as a conversion when it lasts longer than a minimum length you set. This way, you can filter out shorter calls that probably don’t include sales or other valuable actions for your business.
If you use another system to track when calls lead to sales or other conversions, you might want to create an import calls conversion action instead. Or, you can see all our call conversion actions in our article on Using phone call conversion tracking.
This free tool helps you understand how well your keywords, ads, ad groups, and campaigns are working for your business, allowing you to invest more wisely and help boost your return on investment (ROI). Conversion tracking also allows you to take advantage of automated bid strategies such as Target cost-per-acquisition (CPA) and Target return on ad spend (ROAS), tools that help you automatically optimize your campaigns according to your business goals.
Here, we'll show you how to track phone calls from your ads.
Here's what you'll need before you can set up conversion tracking for calls from ads:
- An AdWords account: Don't have one yet? Sign up at http://adwords.google.com.
- An active call extension or call-only ad: You'll need at least one call extension or call-only ad using Call reporting with "Count calls as phone call conversions" selected. You can set this up before or after creating a call conversion action.
- A business in an eligible country: Call reporting is currently available in these countries.
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Tools tab, and select Conversions from the drop-down menu.
- Click the + Conversion button.
- Select the "Phone calls" option.
- Select Calls from call-only ads or ads using call extensions.
- Click Name. Enter the name of the phone call conversion you'd like to track. This will help you recognize this action later when it shows up in conversion reports. An example might be "Flower phone orders" or "Booking calls." Click Done.
- Click Value. Enter a value for each call, or select "Don't assign a value" if you'd prefer not to count one. Click Done.
- Click Call length. Enter the minimum length, in seconds, that a phone call needs to last to be counted as a conversion. Click Done.
- Click Count. Select whether to count every or one conversion per ad click. "Every" is best for sales; "one" is best for leads. Click Done.
- Click Conversion window. Select a conversion window (how long after an ad click you want to track conversions) for this conversion action. The window can be 1 to 60 days. Click Done.
- Click Category. Select the category that best applies to your conversion. Your choice here is used simply to segment your conversion reports. You can always change it later. Click Done.
- (Advanced) Click Include in “Conversions.” Opting into this setting—selected by default—will include data for this conversion action in your “Conversions” reporting column. If you uncheck this setting, data will still be included in the “All conversions” column.
Data in the “Conversions” column is used by automated bid strategies like Target return on ad spend, Enhanced cost-per-click (ECPC), or Target CPA. So, if you use an automated bid strategy to optimize for conversions, and you don’t want to include this particular conversion action in your bid strategy, you can uncheck this setting. Otherwise, leave it checked. Click Done.
- Click Save and continue.
- Click Go to call extensions or Go to call-only ads, and follow the instructions below for your selection.
If you already have a call extension that you'd like to use, continue on to the steps below.
If you need to create a call extension, follow these instructions first, selecting settings according to the instructions below.
- Click the call extension you want to edit.
- Click the pencil next to the phone number you want to edit.
- Next to "Call recording," select On, so that you can track your calls.
- Click Advanced. Next to "Report phone call conversions," check the box to Count calls as phone call conversions.
- Select the name of the conversion action you just created. Click Done.
If you already have a call-only ad that you'd like to use, continue on to the steps below.
If you need to create a call-only ad, follow these instructions first, selecting settings according to the instructions below.
- Choose the call-only ad you want to use, and click the pencil.
- Next to "Show my ad with," select Use call reporting.
- Next to "Report conversions," check the box to Count calls as phone call conversions.
- Next to "Conversion action," select the name of the conversion action you just created.
- Click Save ad.