Track phone number clicks on a mobile website
Conversion tracking can help you see how effectively your ads lead to clicks on your business phone number on your mobile website. Unlike other kinds of phone call conversion tracking, this feature only tracks clicks on your phone number, not actual phone calls. This article shows you how to track phone number clicks from the mobile version of your website. You can measure clicks on a text link, image, or button.
Before you begin
Here's what you'll need before you can set up phone number click conversion tracking:
- a Google Ads account: Don't have one yet? Sign up at http://ads.google.com.
- A website: This is where you'll put the conversion tracking code (called a "tag").
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. Note, automatic targeting is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
Get the conversion tracking tag from your AdWords account
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Tools tab, and select Conversions from the drop-down menu.
- Click the + Conversion button.
- Select the "Phone calls" option.
- Select Clicks on your number on your mobile website.
- Click Name. Enter the name of the phone call conversion you'd like to track. This will help you recognize this action later when it shows up in conversion reports. An example might be "Flower phone orders" or "Booking calls." Click Done.
- Click Value. Enter a value for each call, or select "Don't assign a value" if you'd prefer not to count one. Click Done.
- Click Count. Select whether to count every or one conversion per ad click. "Every" is best for sales; "one" is best for leads. Click Done.
- Click Conversion window. Select a conversion window (how long after an ad click or ad impression you want to track conversions) for this conversion action. The window can be 1 to 90 days. Click Done.
- Click Category. Select the category that best applies to your conversion. Your choice here is used simply to segment your conversion reports. You can always change it later. Click Done.
- (Advanced) Click Include in "Conversions." Opting into this setting—selected by default—will include data for this conversion action in your "Conversions" reporting column. If you uncheck this setting, data will still be included in the "All conversions" column.
Data in the “Conversions” column is used by automated bid strategies like Target return on ad spend (ROAS), Enhanced cost-per-click (ECPC), or Target CPA. So, if you use an automated bid strategy to optimize for conversions, and you don’t want to include this particular conversion action in your bid strategy, you can uncheck this setting. Otherwise, leave it checked. Click Done.
- Click Save and continue.
Add the tag to your website
You're almost done! For your conversion tracking to work, you or your webmaster now needs to follow the instructions to add the conversion tracking tag to your website.