Set up conversion tracking for your website
Before you begin
Here's what you'll need before you can set up website conversion tracking:
- A website: This is where you'll put the conversion tracking code, called a "tag."
- Ability to edit website: Either you or your webmaster will need to be able to add the tag to your website.
This article goes right to the setup instructions. To learn more about how conversion tracking works and why to use it, read About conversion tracking.
Or, if you're not sure if website conversion tracking is right for you, you can find instructions for all the different kinds of conversion tracking here.
Choose the AdWords experience you're using. Learn more.
Click the Guide me button below to go to your account and be guided through setting up conversion tracking for your website.
How to create a conversion action
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the Tools tab, and select Conversions from the drop-down menu.
- Click the +Conversion button.
- You'll now see options for the different kinds of conversion sources you can track. Select Website.
- In the "Name" section, enter a name for the conversion action you'd like to track, such as
"newsletter sign-up" or "wedding bouquet purchase." This will help you recognize this conversion action later in conversion reports. Click Done.
- Click Value. Select how to track the value of each conversion:
- Each time it happens, the conversion action has the same value. Enter the amount each conversion is worth to your business.
- The value of this conversion action may vary. Use this option if, for example, you’re tracking purchases of products with different prices. Later, when you add your conversion tracking tag, you’ll need to customize your tag to track transaction-specific values.
- Don't assign a value.
- Click Count. Select how to count your conversions:
- Every: this setting is best for sales, when every conversion likely adds value for your business.
- One: this setting is best for leads, such as a sign-up form on your website, when only one conversion per ad click likely adds value for your business.
- Click Conversion windows. Select options for each of the following:
- Conversion window: select how long to track conversions after someone clicks an ad. The window can be 1 to 90 days.
- View-through conversion window: select how long to track conversions after someone sees a Display Network ad. The window can be as short as 1 day or as long as 30 days.
- Click Category. Select the category that best describes your conversion. You can use this category to segment your conversion reports. You can always change it later. Click Done.
- (Advanced) Click Include in "Conversions." Uncheck this setting—selected by default—if you don't want to include data for this conversion action in your "Conversions" reporting column. If you uncheck this setting, data will still be included in the "All conversions" column.
You might want to use this setting if you use an automated bid strategy to optimize for conversions, and you don't want to include this particular conversion action in your bid strategy. Learn more about the "Include in 'Conversions'" setting. Click Done.
- Click Attribution model. This setting lets you choose how to assign credit for each conversion: to the last click a customer made before a conversion, the first click, or a combination of clicks. Learn more about each option and how this setting works in About attribution models. Click Done.
- Click Save and continue.
You'll now see a screen with your saved settings and conversion tracking tag. Follow the instructions in the next section to customize and save your tag.
Get your conversion tracking tag
- Review your settings. If you need to make any changes, click Edit settings.
- (Optional) Under "Install your tag," click Choose whether to track conversions on a page load or click. Select an option:
- Page load: Count conversions when customers load a new page, such as a confirmation page for a purchase or sign-up. This is the default and most common option. Under “Page load,” you can also select Add a ‘Google Site Stats’ notification to webpage. Learn more about Google’s security standards.
- Click: Count conversions when customers click a button or link (such as a "Buy Now" button). You'll need to edit the conversion tracking code according to these instructions.
- At the bottom of the gray box with your tag, select one of the options:
- Save instructions and tag: Select this option if you'll be installing the conversion tracking tag on your website yourself.
- Email instructions and tag: Select this option if someone else, such as your webmaster, will be installing the tag on your website.
- Click Done.
Add the tag to your website
You're almost done! For your conversion tracking to work, you or your webmaster now needs to follow the instructions to add the conversion tracking tag to your website.