Upgrade to Shopping campaigns
As of October 2014, all regular Product Listing Ads campaigns have stopped serving ads and eligible regular Product Listing Ads campaigns have been auto-upgraded to Shopping campaigns. You can still access historical performance data for regular Product Listing Ads campaigns. We strongly recommend that you upgrade to Shopping campaigns if you haven't already.
Here you’ll find everything you need to know about upgrading from regular Product Listing Ads campaigns to Shopping campaigns, including:
- Using custom labels instead of “adwords labels” or “adwords grouping” attributes
- How to upgrade to Shopping campaigns
Using custom labels instead of “adwords labels” or “adwords grouping” attributes
The "adwords labels" and "adwords grouping" attributes aren’t supported in Shopping campaigns. If you used either of them in your regular Product Listing Ads campaign to group your products by the values of your choosing, you’ll need to do one of these things before you upgrade:
- Use other existing attributes in your data feed -- such as brand, product type, or category -- to group these products.
Or, if no suitable attributes exist,
- Add the new custom label attribute to your feed.
You can have up to 5 custom labels, numbered 0 through 4. You assign specific definitions and possible values to each custom label, then use the custom labels consistently across all of the products in your Merchant Center account, assigning appropriate values to each product according to your definition.
Each of the 5 custom labels can only have one value per product, and no more than 1,000 different values are accepted per custom label across your entire feed. Learn more about adding custom labels to your data feed.
How to upgrade to Shopping campaigns
Start fresh by creating your new Shopping campaigns from scratch. Take advantage of all that Shopping campaigns have to offer by following our best practices for setting up Shopping campaigns.
Here’s how to build your own Shopping campaign:
- Sign in to AdWords at adwords.google.com.
- From the "Campaigns" tab, click +Campaign.
- Select Shopping from the drop-down menu.
- Choose your campaign settings. The “Load settings from an existing campaign” option will not create a Shopping campaign from your existing regular Product Listing Ads campaign, so don’t select this option. Learn more about campaign settings for Shopping campaigns.
- Click Save and continue.
You'll arrive on the Create ad groups page. In the “Ad group creation” section you'll have two options for creating your Shopping campaign's ad group. You'll be able to make changes later.
- Start with one product group with a single bid for all products - This option will create one ad group containing one “All products” product group with one bid across your entire inventory included in this campaign.
If you choose this option:
- Create one ad group and generate multiple product groups based on the product attribute you choose - This option will create one ad group and generate product groups based upon the product attribute you choose: Brand, Item ID, Custom label, Product type, or Google Product Category. You’ll also have the option to subdivide these product groups further by Item ID (unless you chose Item ID initially). This option may not be available for certain accounts.
We'll assign suggested bids for these product groups based upon your previous bids on the products in these product groups. If no previous bids are available, we’ll suggest bids based on bids for similar items from other customers. We recommend reviewing your bids carefully before enabling your new Shopping campaign.
If you choose this option:
- Give your ad group a name.
- Click the drop-down menu next to Subdivide by and select the attribute you want to use (Brand, Item ID, Custom label, Product type, or Google Product Category).
- If you want to further subdivide your product groups by Item ID, check the box next to Subdivide again by "Item ID." This option won’t be available if you chose to subdivide by Item ID in the previous step.
- Add any promotional text (optional).
- Click Save and continue. This will create an enabled ad group.
- You’ll be taken to your new ad group’s “Product groups” tab, where you’ll see a list of product groups created based upon the attributes you selected.