Bid on viewable impressions using viewable CPM
If you'd like to pay only for ad impressions measured as viewable, you can with viewable cost-per-thousand impressions (viewable CPM). An ad is counted as "viewable" when 50 per cent of your ad shows on screen for one second or longer for display ads and two seconds or longer for video ads. You can select Viewable CPM as a bid strategy when you choose CPM bidding for your "Display Network only" campaign.
Viewable CPM bidding
With viewable CPM (vCPM) bids, you only pay when your ad is able to be seen by potential customers. This means you're bidding on the actual value of your ad appearing in a viewable position on a given placement.
Bear in mind that using a higher vCPM bid than your CPM bid is usually more effective for winning these more valuable types of impression. This can help keep your bids competitive and continue to meet your daily budget. Find out more about viewable CPM bids
Adding viewable CPM columns
When you create a new campaign with vCPM bids, make sure you add the columns for Active View metrics to your reporting. That way, you'll be able to see the relevant viewable statistics for your ads. You can add the pre-defined set of columns for Active View or customise your reporting columns.
Not available for all ad types
The viewable CPM bid strategy is not available for "Search Network only" campaigns.
If you create your campaign using the Viewable CPM bid strategy and subsequently create ads that are not compatible, your ads will not run.
Why use it?
- Pay only for impressions measured as viewable
- Your bids are optimised to favour ad slots that are more likely to become viewable
If you're interested in maximising ad views, rather than clicks, this bidding strategy can help you to achieve this goal better than other kinds of bid strategies.
Bear in mind
With viewable CPM, you bid on 1,000 viewable impressions and pay for impressions that are measured as viewable.
Generally, to keep your costs and traffic at the same level as a CPM campaign, your bid for your viewable CPM might need to be higher than your bid for a standard CPM campaign; however, you should experiment with a bid that works for your campaign goals.
How to monitor your campaign
The number of viewable impressions is shown in your campaign reporting. To see how many viewable impressions your ad received in a cost-per-thousand viewable impressions campaign, follow the steps below.
- On the Campaigns, Ad groups, Ads or Display Network tab, click the Columns drop-down menu right above the statistics table.
- To add a pre-defined set of Viewable CPM columns, select Branding.
- To add specific Active View metrics, select "Modify columns" and click the Performance (Active View) metrics group. Click Add next to each column that you wish to see in your reporting.
- When you go back to your table, you'll see these columns:
- Active View viewable impr.: Shows the number of viewable impressions.
- Active View viewable CTR: Shows how often people clicked your ad after it became viewable.
- Active View avg. CPM: Shows the average cost for 1,000 viewable impressions.
- Active view measurable impr.: Shows the number of impressions that were able to be measured; not all impressions that are served are able to be measured.
- Active view measurable cost: Shows the total cost of impressions that were able to be measured.
- Active view measurable impr. / impr.: Shows the rate of impressions that were able to be measured over all impressions served. Sometimes referred to as the “measurability rate”.
- Active View viewable impr. / measurable impr.: Shows the rate of impressions that became viewable over impressions that were able to be measured. Sometimes referred to as the “viewability rate”.
Your ad group default bid is shown in the Max. CPM column next to a "(viewable)" label. This can help you to identify your viewable CPM bids more quickly in your statistics table.
- Discover where in the Display Network your ads can appear.
- Explore the different ad formats and how they might fit with your advertising goals.