Create a Shopping campaign
Shopping campaigns help you promote your products by giving users detailed information about what you're selling before they even click your ad. Using retail-centric reporting tools, you'll then be able to track the performance of your products over time.
In this article, we'll walk you through how to set up a Shopping campaign in AdWords.
Before you begin
If you're not familiar with Shopping campaigns, learn more About Shopping campaigns and Shopping ads.
Before you create your Shopping campaign, make sure you meet the requirements.
Choose the AdWords experience you're using. Learn more
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating a Shopping campaign:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- In the page menu along the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then click New campaign.
- For "Campaign type," select Shopping and click Next.
Choose your advertising preferences:
- Campaign name. Enter a name for the campaign. You'll use this name to find the campaign later. You can change the name after the campaign has been created.
- Merchant. Select the Merchant Center account that has the products you want to advertise. If you don't see any accounts here, you'll need to link your Merchant Center and AdWords account first. You can't change the merchant after you've created the campaign. Learn more about linking accounts.
- Country of sale. Select the country where your products will be sold and shipped to. Ads will only be shown to people from the country you select. To advertise, you'll need to make sure that product data in the selected Merchant Center account is available for the country you select. If no product data is available, there won't be any products to advertise in the campaign until you add them. You can't change the country of sale after you've created the campaign. Learn more about language and currency requirements for each country.
- Inventory filter. You only need to adjust this setting if you want to limit the number of products used in your campaign. To do so, choose the criteria a product must meet in order to be advertised. Only products that match all the requirements you select will be added to your campaign. You can change this setting after the campaign has been created.
- Bidding. Select which type of bidding to use in your campaign. You can change this setting after the campaign has been created. Learn how to choose a bid strategy.
- Daily budget. Select how much you're willing to spend on this campaign. Learn how to select a bid amount that works for you.
- Campaign priority. You only need to adjust this setting if you're advertising the same product in multiple campaigns for the same country of sale. Campaign priority determines which campaign's budget will be used when products overlap in your campaigns. Learn more about campaign priority.
Networks. By default, Shopping campaigns show ads in a few places:
The default setting can help you drive traffic to your products and increase conversions. If you want to limit where your ads can appear, uncheck the box for any networks you want to exclude. Learn more about where Shopping ads can appear.
- Google Search Network
- Google search partners
- Devices. By default, ads can appear on any device, including computers and mobile devices. You can change this setting after the campaign has been created.
- Locations. You can use this setting to limit where your ads show to specific locations. You can change this setting after the campaign has been created.
- Local inventory ads. You only need to adjust this setting if you want your Shopping campaign to include products sold in local stores. To advertise local products, you'll need to submit local product data in Merchant Center. Then, check the box for "Enable ads for products sold in local stores." Learn more about using local inventory ads.
- Click Save and continue.
Next choose what kind of ad group you want to create:
Product Shopping ad (recommended if you’re new to Shopping). These are individual product ads. These are created automatically using the information from your Merchant Center account. If you want to create this type of ad, continue to the next step.
Showcase Shopping ad. These are several related products that group together in a single ad. The process for creating these requires some additional steps. If you want to create this type of ad, learn more about how to create a Showcase Shopping ad.
Create your first ad group by entering a few pieces of information.
- Ad group name. Enter a name for the ad group. You'll use this name to find the ad group later. You can change the name after the campaign has been created.
- Bid. Enter the bid for the ad group. Once you create the ad group, this bid will be applied to the first product group in the ad group: "All products." You can change the bid on the product group after the campaign has been created.
- Click Save.
- You'll be taken to the product groups page, where you'll see one product group "All products" that contains all products in the campaign. Create more product groups using subdivisions to make bidding more specific. Learn more about managing a Shopping campaign with product groups.