Create a Dynamic Search Ad
Dynamic Search Ads can quickly direct potential customers to what they want on your site. If you want to know more before getting started, read about Dynamic Search Ads.
To create a Dynamic Search Campaign – and to find out how to create ads, ad groups, and customise your targeting and bid – follow the instructions in this article. If you opt to set up your targeting with a feed, also follow instructions in use a feed to target Dynamic Search Ads.
Before you start
To get the most out of Dynamic Search Ads, follow these best practices:
- Before you write ads, improve your website. The quality of your site is as important as the quality of your ads. Get tips on how to improve your website.
- Write great descriptions for your ads. Make sure that your ads are relevant to the people that you’re trying to reach. Find out how to write great ads.
- Bear mobile in mind. Dynamic Search Ads can appear on mobile to customers searching or browsing while they’re on the go. Find out how to improve your mobile site.
- Make sure that your site is accessible. Sites where all the content is dynamically generated can be hard for Google to understand and make ads for. Find out how to make your site more accessible.
- Create single-language campaigns. If your website domain contains pages in multiple languages and you want to target searches for your ads based on all of these pages, create a new campaign for each language.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
How to enable Dynamic Search Ads in your Search Campaign
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- From the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button , then select New campaign.
- Select Search Network.
- Select one or more goals for your campaign. Or, untick “Use goals” to continue without goals.
- Enter your domain that you want your ads to target then click Continue.
- Name your campaign, select the locations to target your ads, and the languages.
- For your bid strategy, choose an automated bid strategy if you want Google to optimise your bids. We recommend the target CPA or enhanced CPC options.
- Enter your bid limit (optional) and budget.
- Expand Additional settings and click on Dynamic search ads.
- Tick the Enable Dynamic Search Ads for this campaign tick box.
- Click Save and Continue to continue onto the next stage – creating a Dynamic Search Ad group and targets.
How to create an ad group
- For the Ad group type, select the Dynamic option (default).
- Name your Dynamic Search Ad group and set your default bid (which you can adjust for each target).
- Decide whether you’d like to target a set of recommended categories, target all web pages on your site, or use specific web pages (advanced). If you’re unfamiliar with dynamic ad targets, we strongly recommend reading About targets for Dynamic Search Ads. Here are additional tips to help you pick:
- You may choose to target all web pages on your site with a lower baseline bid, then create recommended categories at a higher custom bid. This increases your reach and coverage.
- If you’re new to Dynamic Search Ads, we suggest using recommended categories once they’re available (typically 48 hours after you launch your campaign). For recommended categories, select a set of categories that you’d like to target in the ad group.
- If you want to use more advanced features for targeting your Dynamic Search Ads, you can use the Specific web pages feature. This option allows you to create website targeting rules pertaining to category, URL, page content and page title. You can also use a combination of the above options (up to three) to create even more custom targets. To target a subdomain, choose to target by "URL" and enter the subdomain you'd like to reach. For example, it might look like this: "URL contains subdomain.example.com".
- If you’re not using automated bidding, adjust your bid based on the value of each specific target to your business. Bid adjustments can give you more control over when and where your ad is shown. You can set these adjustments to increase or decrease your dynamic ad target bids by a percentage. Find out About bid adjustments.
- Click Save.
How to create your ads
You can have more than one Dynamic Search Ad, which means that you can collect data on which ad is most effective. Here’s how to add more Dynamic Search Ads to the ad group of the campaign you've created:
- Click New ad.
- Enter your description text.
- Click Finiahed.
- Click Save and continue.
How to use bid adjustments
Bid adjustments can give you more control over when and where your ad is shown. You can set these adjustments to increase or decrease your dynamic ad target bids by a percentage. Find out how to use bid adjustments. For more optimised bids, consider setting up automated bidding.