Create Dynamic Search Ads
Dynamic Search Ads can quickly direct potential customers to what they want on your site. To find out more about them, start with About Dynamic Search Ads.
To create a Dynamic Search Campaign – and to find out how to create ads, ad groups, and customise your targeting and bid – follow the instructions in this article. If you opt to set up your targeting with a feed, also follow instructions in Use a feed to target Dynamic Search Ads.
Before you start
To get the most out of Dynamic Search Ads, follow these best practices:
- Before you write ads, improve your website. The quality of your site is as important as the quality of your ads. Get tips on how to improve your website.
- Write great descriptions for your ads. Make sure that your ads are relevant to the people that you’re trying to reach. Find out how to write great ads.
- Bear mobile in mind. Dynamic Search Ads can appear on mobile to customers searching or browsing while they’re on the go. Find out how to improve your mobile site.
- Make sure that your site is accessible. Sites where all content is dynamically generated can be hard for Google to understand and make ads for. Find out how to make your site more accessible.
- Create single-language campaigns. If your website domain contains pages in multiple languages and you want to target searches for your ads based on all of these pages, create a new campaign for each language.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
How to create your Dynamic Search Campaign
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- From the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button and select Search Network.
- Select one or more goals for your campaign. Or, untick “Use goals” to continue without goals.
- Enter your domain that you want your ads to target then click Continue.
- Name your campaign, select the locations to target your ads, and the languages.
- For your bid strategy, choose an automated bid strategy if you want Google to optimise your bids. We recommend the target CPA or enhanced CPC options.
- Enter your bid limit (optional) and budget.
- Expand Additional settings and click Dynamic search ads.
- Tick the Use dynamic search ads. Get targeting and headlines based on your website tick box.
- Click Save and Continue to continue on to the next stage – creating an ad group and targets.
How to create an ad group
- Name your ad group and set your default bid (which you can adjust for each target).
- Decide whether you’d like to target a set of recommended categories, target all web pages on your site, or use specific web pages (advanced). If you’re unfamiliar with dynamic ad targets, we strongly recommend reading About targets for Dynamic Search Ads. Here are additional tips to help you pick:
- You may choose to target all web pages on your site with a lower baseline bid, then create recommended categories at a higher custom bid. This increases your reach and coverage.
- If you’re new to Dynamic Search Ads, we suggest using recommended categories once they’re available (typically 48 hours after you launch your campaign). For recommended categories, select a set of categories that you’d like to target in the ad group.
- If you want to use more advanced features for targeting your Dynamic Search Ads, you can use the “Specific web pages (advanced)” feature. This option allows you to create website targeting rules pertaining to category, URL, page content and page title. You can also use a combination of the above options (up to three) to create even more custom targets. To target a subdomain, choose to target by "URL" and enter the subdomain you'd like to reach. For example, it might look like this: "URL contains subdomain.example.com".
- If you’re not using automated bidding, adjust your bid based on the value of each specific target to your business. Bid adjustments can give you more control over when and where your ad is shown. You can set these adjustments to increase or decrease your dynamic ad target bids by a percentage. Find out About bid adjustments.
- Click Save.
How to create your ads
With a Dynamic Search Ad campaign, you can have more than one ad, which means you can collect data on which ad is most effective. Here’s how to add more Dynamic Search Ads to the ad group of the campaign you've created:
- Click New ad.
- Insert your description text and website information.
- Click Save ad.
How to edit Dynamic Search Ads in bulk
You can save time by editing bids for multiple Dynamic Search Ads at once. Here's how you do this:
- From the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click Ads & extensions.
- Tick the box next to any of the ads that you want to modify.
- From the "Edit" menu, select Change text ads....
- In the dialogue box that appears, make any changes that you would like to apply across all of the ads you selected. You can also create a new set of duplicate ads that contain your changes – instead of changing your existing ads – by ticking the box next to "Duplicate selected text ads and set text in duplicates".
- When you've finished, click Make changes.
How to use bid adjustments
Bid adjustments can give you more control over when and where your ad is shown. You can set these adjustments to increase or decrease your dynamic ad target bids by a percentage. Find out how to use bid adjustments. For more optimised bids, consider setting up automated bidding.