Exclude IP addresses
Getting unwanted clicks that are costing you? You can take your ads off certain neighbourhoods of the Internet map, so to speak, by excluding computer or network IP addresses.
This article explains how to exclude Internet Protocol (IP) addresses by campaign so that all ads in that campaign are blocked from computers and networks associated with those addresses.
Why exclude by IP address
You can exclude specific IP addresses in order to limit the display of your ad on particular networks that you believe aren't likely to be used by potential customers.
People working at your company regularly check your website's organic search results, where your ads sometimes show. Since unwanted ad impressions and inadvertent clicks are costly, you decide to exclude your company's network IP address.
Bear in mind
If you're trying to prevent your ads from being shown in certain geographical locations, try excluding ads from a geographical location instead of excluding IP addresses.
IP addresses can appear in different versions, so make sure you use all versions of the IP address you’d like to exclude.
Select the AdWords experience that you're using. Learn more
Before you start
IP exclusions aren't available for video campaigns or any of these marketing objectives or campaign types:
"Display Network only" marketing objectives
- Install your mobile app
- Engage with your mobile app
- Ads in mobile apps
- Search Network with Display Select – Standard
- Search Network only – Standard
- Display Network only - Standard
- Display Network only - Install your mobile app
- Display Network only - Ads in mobile apps
How to exclude IP addresses
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.co.uk.
- Under the main Campaigns tab, click on the Settings tab.
- Click on the campaign that you'd like to exclude IP addresses from.
- Scroll down to the Advanced settings section, and click on the IP exclusions link.
- Click Edit next to "Manage IP exclusions".
- In the box that opens, enter the list of IP addresses that you want to exclude. Type just one IP address per line, up to 500 addresses per campaign.
- Click on Save.
If you'd like to view or edit the IP address that you've excluded for a campaign, return to the Settings tab.
Some large Internet Service Providers (ISPs) assign the same IP address to a large number of computers. If you exclude such an IP address, then you could block many legitimate customers from seeing your ads.
How to remove your IP address exclusions
- Follow steps 1-5 (above).
- In the box that opens, remove any IP address exclusions that you don't want to apply.
- Click on Save.