Exclude IP addresses
Getting unwanted clicks that are costing you? You can take your ads off certain neighborhoods of the Internet map, so to speak, by excluding computer or network IP addresses from the Settings tab.
The Settings tab lets you exclude Internet Protocol (IP) addresses by campaign so that all ads in that campaign are blocked from computers and networks associated with those addresses.
Are you trying to prevent your ads from showing in certain geographical locations? Try excluding ads from a geographic location instead of excluding IP addresses.
Why exclude by IP address
Here are some reasons you'd want to exclude by IP address:
- Take advantage of the advanced exclusion controls that AdWords provides.
- Exclude your competitors' IP addresses.
- Limit unwanted impressions and clicks from your company's network.
People working at your company regularly check your website's organic search results, where your ads sometimes show. Since unwanted ad impressions and inadvertent clicks are costly, you decide to exclude your company's network IP address.
Keep in mind
To exclude IP addresses, you’ll need to use one of the following campaign types:
- "Search Network with Display Select - All features"
- "Search & Display Networks - All features"
- "Search Network only – All features"
- "Display Network only – All features"
- "Display Network only – Remarketing"
If you have a different campaign type from the ones listed above, you won't be able to exclude IP addresses. Learn about AdWords campaign types.
How to exclude IP addresses
Here's how to block your ads from showing to certain IP addresses:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
- Under the main Campaigns tab, click the Settings tab.
- Click the campaign you'd like to exclude IP addresses from.
- Scroll down to the Advanced settings section, and click the IP exclusions link.
- Click Edit next to "Manage IP exclusions."
- In the box that opens, enter the list of IP addresses you want to exclude. Type just one IP address per line, up to 500 addresses per campaign.
- Click Save.
If you'd like to view or edit the IP address you've excluded for a campaign, return to the Settings tab.
Some large Internet Service Providers (ISPs) assign the same IP address to a large number of computers. If you exclude such an IP address, you could block many legitimate customers from seeing your ads.
How to remove your IP address exclusions
Here's how to remove an IP address exclusion from your campaign:
- Follow steps 1-5 (above).
- In the box that opens, remove any IP address exclusions that you don't want to apply.
- Click Save.