Create a website remarketing list
Use remarketing lists to show ads to people who have visited your website before. This article explains the steps you’ll need to follow to create a website remarketing list.
Before you begin
If you aren't familiar with remarketing, you should read How remarketing works first.
Remarketing to people based on their sensitive information is not allowed. Your remarketing lists shouldn't be associated with any personally identifiable or sensitive information. If you're setting up a remarketing campaign and placing the remarketing tag on your website, you need to follow the Policy for advertising based on interests and location.
- Sign in to AdWords.
- Click Shared library.
- Click Audiences.
- If you’re creating a remarketing list for the first time, you’ll see several remarketing options. Under "Website visitors," click "Set up remarketing" and complete the setup process. If this isn't the first remarketing list you've created, click +Remarketing list and select "Website visitors" from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a descriptive remarketing list name.
- Choose a template from the "Who to add to your list" drop-down menu.
- Click +Rule to add rules.
- A dialog appears where you can add all the conditions that a single webpage needs to match. Select an option from the second drop-down menu, such as "contains," "equals," or "starts with." Type in the value. Values can be words, a number, or a date, depending on the type of list you're creating. Click Done.
- Enter a membership duration, which is how long you want a visitor to stay on your list. You can change the membership duration at any time. If you already have a remarketing tag on your website and want to include recent visitors who match your list's rules, leave the "Include past visitors that match these rules" box checked. This works only works for the Display Network and doesn't apply to remarketing lists for search ads.
- Click Save.
Create as many remarketing lists as you'd like. Once you've created lists, create new campaigns and ad groups where you can add your lists.