Removing or changing your credit card
You need to have a primary form of payment on your account at all times. This ensures that there's always a way to automatically pay for your ads. So you can change or remove the credit card you're using, as long as you have another form of payment in your account.
If you're trying to stop your ads running, pause your campaigns instead.
To change the credit card that's used as a primary form of payment:
- Sign in to your AdWords account at http://adwords.google.com.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing, then click Billing settings on the side of the page.
- Click the Add new form of payment button.
- You'll see the forms of payment that are available to your account. These are based on your business address, your account's currency, and how you pay (automatic payments).
- Enter your payment information.
- Click Save form of payment.
- Now assign this form of payment as your primary: Click the Select as drop-down menu to choose Primary.
- Find your previous form of payment, and click Remove.
Tip: Add a backup credit card
To avoid having your ads stop because of a declined payment, we highly recommend setting up a backup form of payment. If your primary form of payment doesn't work for some reason, we'll charge your backup credit card to ensure your ads keep running.
- See how to use a credit card to pay for AdWords.