Home & getting started
Troubleshoot ads not showing
There may be several reasons your app is showing few ads or isn’t showing ads at all. Use the following guide to troubleshoot ad issues.
In this article:
- Allow time for new apps and ad units to activate
- Check your implementation
- Resolve all policy violations
- Consider Google’s Trust & Safety initiatives
When apps are newly registered with AdMob, it typically takes up to an hour for the new ad unit to become fully functional across Google’s servers. Because of this, you may not see live impressions immediately.
If you created a new ad unit recently, it may also take up to an hour before the ad unit is activated. Use test ad units to check your implementation while you wait for your ad units to activate.
If you're experiencing low match rate, learn more about how to troubleshoot.
Test your implementation
To ensure that your implementation code is working correctly, use test ads. Test ad units always return ads to your app so you know that your implementation code is working properly. Learn more.
Use sample apps
Understand error codes
Understanding error codes can help troubleshoot why you aren’t seeing ads in your app. When an ad unit in an app sends an ad request to Google’s servers, the server either responds with an ad or with an error code to indicate the issue.
Also, review the AdMob community post on error codes for more troubleshooting tips.
Check your mediation implementation
Note that each ad network has their own integration instructions available on Google Developers (Android, iOS, Unity). Mediated ad networks won’t be able to fill incoming ad requests if they aren’t set up properly within AdMob mediation groups and implemented correctly within your app’s code.
After you’ve implemented mediation, verify that you’ve set it up correctly with the Mediation Test Suite. This allows you to test whether you’ve correctly configured your application and ad units to display ads from third-party networks via AdMob mediation.
Ad serving can be disabled if your app isn’t compliant with our program policies. If you have a policy violation, you’ll be notified in the home dashboard of your AdMob account and via email. Check the Policy center in your AdMob account for any unresolved violations and how to fix them.
Once you’ve fixed the violation, you must upload the new version of your app to Google Play and/or the App Store and request a review of your app.
Review the following and consider whether your app may be affected by one of Google’s Trust & Safety initiatives:
- Check to see if your app is affected by limited ad serving.
- If you implement any Google advertising service on an app that is covered by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), review our policies and learn how to tag ad requests for child-directed treatment.
- Check your app’s content rating and ensure that you’re in compliance with Google Play’s Families Policy. Learn more about how to use AdMob to comply with Google Play’s Families Policy and how to set a maximum content rating.
- Review the tools available to help you comply with Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Learn more.
- If you have been asked to submit your APK, or if you have a problem serving Google ads in your Android application, complete the APK submission form.