Monetize a new app
Complete the following steps to start making money with ads in your app.
- Sign in to your AdMob account at https://apps.admob.com.
- Click the Monetize tab.
- Click + Monetize new app.
- Select an app to monetize by using one of the following methods:
- Search for your app: Search Google Play or the iTunes App Store for your app, then click + Select.
- Add your app manually: If your app is not published yet, enter the app name and the platform, then click + Select.
We recommend linking your app to the App Store once it's published.
- Select from apps you have added: In the list of apps you've already added to AdMob, click + Select beside the app you want to monetize.
- To create an ad unit, select an ad format and enter the relevant details.
- Ad type: Choose the ad type(s) allowed for this ad unit. You can choose any combination of text and image by checking the boxes. Checking both boxes is recommended since unchecking either of the boxes might limit the revenue generated by the ad unit. Unchecking all of the boxes will result in an error. You must choose at least one ad type for each ad unit.
- Automatic refresh Determine how often a new ad impression is generated. You can choose not to refresh or to refresh ads every 30 to 120 seconds. We recommend setting a refresh rate between 45 and 60 seconds.
- Text ad style: Select a text ad style that complements your app. You can use the standard style or customize your own style.
- Ad unit name: Enter a unique name and description that will help you find this ad unit later (e.g., Top Banner on Home).
- Ad type: Choose the ad type(s) allowed for this ad unit. You can choose any combination of text, image, and video by checking the boxes. Checking all three boxes is recommended since unchecking some of the boxes might limit the revenue generated by the ad unit. Unchecking all of the boxes will result in an error. You must choose at least one ad type for each ad unit.
- Ad unit name: Enter a unique name and description that will help you find this ad unit later (e.g., Interstitial on level complete).
- Click Save.
- Review the on-screen instructions to learn how to implement the new ad unit in your app. Your app won't start serving ads to the ad unit until you've implemented the ad unit in your app's code. You can also click the Send an email with these instructions button to have the instructions sent to you via email so you can access them easily from outside of AdMob.
You've now prepared your app for monetization and created an ad unit. You can find detailed setup instructions at Google Developers to help you implement the ad unit in your app's code.
Skyler is an AdMob expert and author of this help page. Help them improve this article by leaving feedback below.