Adaptive Banners dynamically select and serve the best banner size for performance, taking into account the user’s device that will show the ad. Adaptive Banners can accommodate both reserved and backfill inventory. To ensure the right serving behavior for each, the following configuration is recommended in the Ad Manager UI (below) as well as in the Google Mobile Ads SDK for Anchored Adaptive Banners (Android | iOS ) and Inline Adaptive Banners (Android | iOS ).
- Create an ad unit
- Add line items for backfill inventory
- Serve reservations in Adaptive Banners
- Configure Adaptive Banners and yield groups
- Adaptive Banners and unified pricing rules
Create an ad unit as you normally would and select Fixed size from the "Size mode" drop-down.
When configuring line items for backfill inventory, under "Expected Creatives," enable All requested sizes. This ensures the line item will match the widest range of high-performing available ad sizes.
Reservation creatives can match Adaptive Banner line items based on how close their size is to the adaptive ad size.
- Anchored Adaptive Banners match any reservation that is at least 50% of the width and height of the adaptive ad size.
- Inline Adaptive banners match any reservation that is at least 50% of the width of the adaptive ad size, with any height. For example, if requesting an Inline Adaptive Banner with an adaptive ad size of 300x250, any reservation between 150x1 and 300x250 is eligible to serve, centered, in the adaptive ad slot.
If you want a specific reservation to always be matched, regardless of the device or adaptive ad size, add the size of that reservation creative to the array of:
AdSizesfor Android, using the AdManagerAdView.setAdSizes(AdSize… AdSizes) method.
AdSizes(Android) array. This can lead to reservations serving in slots that are far larger than the reservation itself.
For Adaptive Banners to work with yield groups:
- For a mediation yield group, you must specify a size. To ensure maximum performance, 320x50 is strongly recommended. In your app code, use the
publisherAdView.setAdSizes()method to add the size
320x50as an entry in the
- For an Open Bidding yield group, no specific size is required because all sizes can be targeted.
We don’t recommend using size targeting in unified pricing rules when working with Adaptive Banner ads. This is because Adaptive Banner ad sizes are dynamic and can change per user device.