This article describes the general process for trafficking native ads:
- Link an Ad Exchange account to Ad Manager
- Create ad units
- Choose how to create native ads
- Create an order and line items
- Add native creatives
- Add Fluid to your ad request
- Report on native
Before you get started
Keep the following in mind:
- You can traffic native ads for Private Auctions, Preferred Deals, and Programmatic Guaranteed. Differences in the process for these transaction types are noted below.
- To use custom (user-defined) native ad formats for Programmatic Guaranteed, you’ll need to use publisher-managed creatives.
- All publisher implementations of programmatic native ads must adhere to specific guidelines (for native styles and custom rendering). Please take a look at these guidelines to see the allowable native UI customizations, which are aligned with Ad Exchange policy. These guidelines don’t apply to direct-sold native ads.
In Ad Exchange, link your Ad Exchange account to Ad Manager. Under your account settings, enable third-party access.
You can either create new ad units or use existing ones as you normally would. Under “Sizes”, select Fixed size and then select pixel sizes or Fluid if you want to enable responsive slots for native ads.
- If you’re using native styles, ensure that both the style targeting and line item targeting match the request.
- We strongly recommend you have banners compete with native ads to maximize performance.
The line item size you need to enter for native varies based on the transaction type:
In the "Expected creatives" field, select a native ad format (rather than a traditional size). Native line items use native ad formats as creative placeholders instead of sizes.
|Ad Exchange line items||In the “Expected creatives” field, select Native Programmatic (Native).|
|Programmatic Guaranteed and Preferred Deals||
- Traditional: Select the native ad format you used in the line item in step 4.
- Programmatic: Add an Ad Exchange creative with the “Native” size, or add the “Native” size to an existing multi-size creative. Learn more
If you're trafficking the "Fluid" size for native ads in the Ad Manager UI, add the special Fluid size to a multi-size ad request in Google Publisher Tags or the Google Mobile Ads SDK. This will make your native ads responsive when they win.
When you report with the "Creative size (delivered)" dimension, you’ll see a value of “Native” for Custom rendering and “Fluid” for Native styles that are fluid-sized.
That’s it! Ad Manager takes care of the rest. For Native styles, we’ll render the ads with the right styles and deliver them to the desired destinations, whether it be desktop web, mobile web, or apps.
Still have questions?
See a list of all the available Help Center articles about native.