Get started with native
This article describes the general process for trafficking native ads.
- You can traffic native ads for Private Auctions, Preferred Deals, and Programmatic Guaranteed. Differences in the process for these transaction types are noted below.
- To use custom (user-defined) native ad formats for Programmatic Guaranteed, you’ll need to use publisher-hosted creatives.
- All publisher implementations of programmatic native ads must adhere to specific guidelines (for native styles and custom rendering). Please take a look at these guidelines to see the allowable native UI customizations, which are aligned with Ad Exchange policy. These guidelines don’t apply to direct-sold native ads.
1. (Programmatic only) Link your Ad Exchange account to Ad Manager
In Ad Exchange, link your Ad Exchange account to Ad Manager. Under your account settings, enable third-party access.
2. Create ad units if needed
You can either create new ad units or use existing ones as you normally would. Under “Sizes”, select Fixed size and then select pixel sizes or Fluid if you want to enable responsive slots for native ads.
3. Choose how to create native ads and complete the steps for the option you select
4. Create an order and line items as you normally would
- If you’re using native styles, ensure that both the style targeting and line item targeting match the request.
- We strongly recommend you have banners compete with native ads to maximize performance.
The line item size you need to enter for native varies based on the transaction type:
In the "Inventory sizes" field, select a native ad format (rather than a traditional size). Native line items use native ad formats as creative placeholders instead of sizes.
|Ad Exchange line items||In the “Inventory sizes” field, select Native (Native).|
|Programmatic Guaranteed and Preferred Deals||
5. Add native creatives
- Traditional: Select the native ad format you used in the line item in step 4.
- Programmatic: Add an Ad Exchange creative with the “Native” size, or add the “Native” size to an existing multi-size creative. Learn more
6. (Fluid size only) Add Fluid to your ad request in GPT or the GMA SDK
If you're trafficking the "Fluid" size for native ads in the Ad Manager UI, add the special Fluid size to a multi-size ad request in Google Publisher Tags or the Google Mobile Ads SDK. This will make your native ads responsive when they win.
7. Report on native line items as you would for other line items in Ad Manager
When you report with the "Creative size (delivered)" dimension, you’ll see a value of “Native” for Custom rendering and “Fluid” for Native styles that are fluid-sized.
That’s it! Ad Manager takes care of the rest. For Native styles, we’ll render the ads with the right styles and deliver them to the desired destinations, whether it be desktop web, mobile web, or apps.