Create a user message experiment

You can create a user message experiment for Offerwall and ad blocking recovery messages. Other types of user message experiments will eventually become available.

Get started

To set up a user message experiment, follow these general guidelines. Then, review the details for the specific type of experiment you’re setting up.

Step 1: Create your message

  1. Sign in to Google Ad Manager.

  2. Click Privacy & messaging.

  3. Create a new message. On one of the message type cards:
    • Click Create if this is your first time creating a message of the selected type.
    • Click Manage if you've previously created a message of the selected type. Then, click Create message.
  4. In the "Add your sites" section, click Add site.

  5. Make your selections, then click Confirm.

  6. (Optional) In the "Select language" section, select languages.

  7. On the same page, review any other options available for your experiment type, then click Continue.

  8. Enter a message name.

  9. In the "Set up" section, select configuration options.

  10. To style the message, click  and make your selections.

Step 2: Create your experiment

  1. Review the details for the type of experiment you’re setting up:

  2. Click Set up experiment.

  3. Click Create experiment.

    Note
    • Clicking Save draft saves the message as a regular message, not as an experiment. To continue with the experiment later, open the draft and click Set up experiment.
    • Clicking Discard experiment exits experiment mode for the message.
  4. Enter a name for the experiment and choose your delivery settings.

  5. Click Save. The experiment runs as scheduled.

Review the types of user message experiments

Review the details for the type of user message experiment you’re setting up.

Offerwall

You can run an experiment that gates access to site content through a variety of user choices. Learn more about Offerwall messages.

Delivery settings

  • Experiment period: The earliest available start date is displayed in the date range picker. Scheduled experiments start on the selected date.
  • Traffic allocation: The percent of users you want to apply the user message to during the experiment. For example, 60% traffic allocation means that the message will be eligible to 60% of your users, while the remaining 40% won't see the message.

Ad blocking recovery 

You can run an experiment that prompts users to allow ads on your site, potentially recovering revenue you may be losing to ad blockers. Learn more about ad blocking.

Experiment criteria

Before starting the experiment, be sure to add the Ad blocking recovery tag to your site. To access the tag:

  1. Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
  2. Click Privacy & messaging.
  3. Click Settings on the Ad blocking recovery message type card, and then click Tagging.
  4. Under “Ad blocking recovery,” click Copy, and then paste the tag into your site. 
  5. (Optional) Copy and paste the error protection message code into your site.

Delivery settings

  • Experiment period: The earliest available start date is displayed in the date range picker. Scheduled experiments start on the selected date.
  • Traffic allocation: The percent of users you want to apply the user message to during the experiment. For example, 60% traffic allocation means that the message will be eligible to 60% of your users, while the remaining 40% won't see the message.

Manage your user message experiments

Review the status of a user message experiment

  1. Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
  2. Click Privacy & messaging.
  3. Click Manage on one of the message type cards. 
  4. In the "Status" column, review the experiment’s status.
    If the status is “Experimenting” or “Completed,” you can click the status to go directly to the Experiments dashboard.
  5. (Optional) To review the message, click the experiment's name.
  6. (Optional) To publish the experiment, turn on the toggle in the “Publish” column.

Stop or apply an experiment

  1. Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
  2. Click Optimization and then Experiments.
  3. Under “Experiments,” check the results for your experiment.
  4. For details, click Expand.
  5. Choose an option:
    • To stop the experiment, click Keep control.
    • To apply the experiment, click Publish variant.

For more details, visit Evaluate experiment results.

FAQ

What do the statuses mean?

  • Scheduled: The experiment is scheduled to run on a specific date.
  • Experimenting (or running): The experiment is in progress.
  • Paused: The experiment is paused.
  • Completed: The experiment has finished running. 
  • Published: The message has been published to your traffic. 

Was this helpful?

How can we improve it?
Search
Clear search
Close search
Google apps
Main menu
7972962713829204554