After you add your sites to Ad Manager, complete the following steps to create the GDPR message that you want to display to the eligible EEA (European Economic Area) and UK (United Kingdom) users of your sites.
Ensure you've added the Google Publisher Tags (GPT) ad tag to your site to enable it to gather consent.
- Sign in to Google Ad Manager.
- Click Privacy & messaging.
- Click GDPR.
- Click Create message.
- Click Sites. The "Create your GDPR message" page opens.
- Select the sites in which this message will be displayed:
- Click Select sites.
- Select the desired sites.
- Click Save.
- Select the languages in which this message will be displayed:
- Default language: The message is shown in the default language when the user’s device language cannot be determined, or when the user’s device language doesn't adequately match the selected “Additional languages.”
- Additional languages: The message can be shown to users in any of the “Additional languages” that match the user’s device language. Languages you select here should match the languages in which your site is available. You can edit the message text for each of the "Additional languages."
If you select “Dutch” in the “Additional languages” field, a user whose device language is set to Dutch will be shown Dutch version of the GDPR message.
- In the “User consent options” section, select one of the following options:
- Consent or Manage options: This message presents your users with a choice to consent to your ad partners and your ad partners’ purposes, or to customize their consent selections.
- Consent, Do not consent, or Manage options: This message presents your users with a choice to consent to your ad partners and your ad partners’ purposes, not consent to your ad partners and your ad partners’ purposes, or to customize their consent selections.
- (Optional) Check the Close (do not consent) checkbox to add a close icon to your message. Users can click the close icon to dismiss the message and decline consent to your ad partners and their purposes.
- Click Continue. The "Edit message" page opens.
- In the "Message name" field, enter a descriptive message name that will help you identify the message later. The name is shown only in the Privacy & messaging page and won't be visible to users.
- (Optional) Edit and format the message to match your site's editorial and visual standards.
If the message will be shown in more than one language, review the message in all of the selected languages before publishing.
- Click Save.
- When you’re ready, publish the message.