You can enroll in the Advanced Protection Program to add Google’s strongest layer of security to your Google Account.
Advanced Protection is recommended for anyone who is at risk of targeted online attacks such as journalists, activists, business leaders, and IT admins.
How Advanced Protection works
Advanced Protection uses security keys to help protect your emails, documents, contacts, or other personal data. Even if a hacker has your password, they won’t be able to get access to your account without your security key.
A security key is a small physical device that helps prove that it’s you signing in to your phone, tablet, or computer. You can also use the built-in security key in an iPhone running iOS 10+ or an Android 7+ device. You need your security keys only when you sign in for the first time on a computer, browser, or device. After that, you’ll only be asked for your password.
Turn on Advanced Protection
With your phone’s built-in security key
If you have a smartphone running Android 7.0 or higher, you can use the built-in security key to turn on Advanced Protection.
Important: If you enroll in Advanced Protection, don’t change your password or remove your phone from your trusted devices list until you’ve added at least one backup security key to your Google Account.
- Make sure you are signed in to your Google Account on Chrome on your computer, Chromebook, iPhone or iPad.
- If you have more than one eligible Android phone, choose one to enroll in Advanced Protection.
- Enroll in Advanced Protection by following the on screen instructions.
- Add or purchase an additional backup security key.
With 2 security keys that you purchased
If you don’t have an Android phone with a built-in security key, you can purchase your security keys first and then enroll in Advanced Protection.
- Purchase security keys that are compatible with the devices you use.
- Turn on Advanced Protection by following the on screen instructions.
Get answers to common questions
Decide if Advanced Protection is right for you
Advanced Protection is Google’s strongest account security, which comes with some restrictions on your account:
- You need your security key to sign in on any new device.
- To read your email, you can use Gmail. You can also create a code to use the iOS Mail app with your Google Account.
- You won’t be able to use your Google Account with some apps & services that require access to sensitive data like your emails and Google Drive. This way, hackers won’t have access to your personal Google data. You can create a code to use some iPhone and iPad apps with your Google Account.
- If you lose access to your account, account recovery will require extra steps.