Email already exists
If you see this message when you try to create or change your account username, it's possible that you've already created a Google Account with that username. It's also possible that someone else accidentally entered your email address when creating a Google Account, but was never able to verify email ownership.
To reclaim your Google Account, please follow these steps:
- Visit the password-assistance page.
- Enter your username (your full email address).
- Type the letters shown in the distorted picture into the appropriate field.
- Click Submit. You'll receive a message at the address registered as your Google Account username. Follow the instructions in this message to reset your password.
After you've regained access to this account, you can either delete the account, or change the username on the account to another valid email address. You'll then be able to change the email address on your other account to this email address.
To delete your Google Account, sign in on the Google Accounts homepage. Click the Edit link next to the 'My products' list. On this page, you can delete your account.
To change the email address you currently use to sign in to your Google Account, just follow these steps:
- Visit the Google Accounts homepage.
- Enter your username and password, and click Sign in.
- Click the Edit link next to 'Email addresses.'
- Enter your new email address and your current password.
- Click the Save button.
You'll receive a verification message at your new email address. To complete the change, you'll need to click the verification link in this message. For security purposes, you'll also get a confirmation email at your old email address.
If you're using Gmail, it's not currently possible to change your username; however, you can change the alternate email address associated with your account. To do so, sign in on the Google Accounts homepage, enter your preferred alternate email address in the appropriate field, and click 'Save.'
If you have any questions about Gmail, please visit the Gmail Help Center.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.