Check for an existing account
Check if you already created an account or find out why you see the "Email already exists" message.
Check if you have an account
To check if you have a Google Account, enter your email address on the password-assistance page.
- If there's no Google Account associated with your email address, you'll get a message that says "No account found with that email address." You can create a new account.
- If you have a Google Account, you can change your password. Select "I don't know my password" and then follow the instructions.
"Email already exists" message appears
If you see the "Email already exists" message when you try to create or change your account username:
- You might have already created a Google Account with that username
- Someone else might have already taken the username.
After you get back into your account, you can do the following:
- Visit the password-assistance page.
- Enter your username (your full email address).
- In the text box, type the letters shown in the distorted picture.
- Click Submit. You'll get an email at the address linked to your Google Account username. To change your password, follow the instructions in the email.
- Open the Google Accounts homepage.
- Enter your username and password, and click Sign in.
- Next to "Email addresses," click Edit.
- Enter your new email address and password.
- Click Save.
You'll get a verification email at your new email address. Click the verification link in this email. For security purposes, you'll also get a confirmation email at your old email address.
If you're using Gmail, it's not currently possible to change your username. However, you can change the other email address associated with your account:
1. Sign in on the Google Accounts homepage.
2. In the field, enter the email address you want to use.
3. Click Save.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.