Check for an existing account
Check if you already created an account or find out why you see the "Email already exists" message.
Check if you have an account
To check if you have a Google Account, follow the steps to enter your email address.
- If there's no Google Account associated with your email address, you'll get a message that says "No account found with that email address." You can create a new account.
- If you have a Google Account, you can change your password. Select "More options" and then follow the instructions.
"Email already exists" message appears
If you see the "Email already exists" message when you try to create or change your account username:
- You might have already created a Google Account with that username
- Someone else might have already taken the username.
After you get back into your account, you can do the following:
- Follow the steps to reset your password.
- Enter your username (your full email address) and follow the steps to complete the process.
- Open the Google Accounts homepage.
- Sign in as usual.
- Click Personal info and privacy Email Google Account email Edit.
- Enter your new email address and password.
- Click Save.
You'll get a verification email at your new email address. Click the verification link in this email. For security purposes, you'll also get a confirmation email at your old email address.
If you're using Gmail, it's not currently possible to change your username. However, you can change the other email address associated with your account:
1. Sign in on the Google Accounts homepage.
2. Click Personal info and privacy Email Alternate emails.
3. Click Save.
Ashley is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about how to improve it.