You can preview a new site before you publish. When you’re ready, you can publish it only to your organization or to the world.
In this section, you learn how to:
If you’re viewing a site on a mobile device, the content automatically adjusts to fit the screen. You can preview how your site appears on different devices.
- Click Preview .
- To see how your site looks on different devices, choose an option:
- Large screen
- Click Close to exit the preview screen.
When you publish your site for the first time, add a site name to complete the site URL. You can only use letters, numbers, and dashes in the site name. The beginning of the URL includes your organization’s domain and can’t be changed. You can continue to edit your site after you publish it. However, you need to republish the site to see any new changes.
Publish your site:
- Click Publish.
- Add a name to the end of the URL. Certain terms, such as support and admin, can’t be used. You’ll see a check mark at the end of the URL if it’s available.
- Under Who can view my site, click Manage.
- In the Share with others window, choose an option:
- Draft—To allow people in your domain or specific people to edit the draft version of your site, click Change.
- Published—To allow people in your domain or specific people to view your published site, click Change.
- Click Done.
- Click Publish. Visit your site's URL to confirm that your site published correctly.
Note: After you publish a site, you can share the published site by clicking Copy link Copy link and then paste the link to someone in a chat or email message.
You can change your site’s URL anytime. However, if you do, bookmarks to the old URL will no longer work.
- Next to Publish, click the Down arrow Publish settings.
- Enter a new URL.
- Click Save.
If you no longer want your site to be available online, you can unpublish it. You can still access and update your site content. You can also republish the site using the same URL or a different URL at any time. If people try to visit your unpublished site, they’ll see an error message.
Unpublish your site:
Next to Publish, click the Down arrow Unpublish.
When a Google Sites website has more than one published page, you can search for what you want to find on the published version.
- Go to a Google Site website and at the top right, click Search .
- Enter your search and press Enter.