Get started with shared drives
3. Manage files and folders
Get tips for structuring a shared drive and creating and finding files.
In this section, you learn how to:
Flag important files or folders to quickly find them later.
- Right-click a file or folder and select Add star.
- (Optional) To see all your starred files and folders, on the left, click Starred.
To move files from My Drive into a shared drive or between shared drives, drag the files into the destination shared drive. To move folders, contact your G Suite admin.
Move files from My Drive to a shared drive:
You can move any file you own into a shared drive, whether it’s from another Drive location or from your computer or mobile device.
If you’re not the owner of a file in My Drive, but you have Edit access to the file, you might be able to move that file into a shared drive, if:
- Your G Suite admin has enabled this option.
- The file’s owner is a member of the shared drive where you want to move the file.
Otherwise, you need to ask the owner to move the file into the shared drive.
Move files between shared drives:
To move files between shared drives, you need Manager access to the original shared drive and at least Contributor access to the destination shared drive.
Move a file to trash:
Requires at least Content manager access
- Click the file you want to delete.
- At the top, click Trash .
- Click Delete For Everyone.
The file moves to the shared drive's Trash folder. Files in a shared drive's Trash folder are automatically deleted after 30 days.
Permanently delete a file in trash:
Requires Manager access
- In the Trash folder, right-click the file you want to delete and select Delete forever.
- Click Delete Forever to confirm.
Restore a file (up to 30 days):
Requires at least Contributor access
- On the left, click a shared drive.
- At top, next to the shared drive name, click the Down arrow View trash.
- Click the fileRestore .
Search in a shared drive:
- Right-click a shared drive and click Search within shared drive name.
- In the Search box, enter your search term and press Enter.