Drive File Stream only
Avoid version conflicts when you’re editing Microsoft Office files. With real-time presence, you can see if someone else is editing a Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file that’s stored in Drive File Stream.
See who's editing an Office file
Merge different versions
If someone saves a new version of a file while you’re editing, you get a notification.
You can save your version as a copy or you can manually merge your changes into the latest version of the file. On the notification:
- Click Compare versions.
- Copy changes from your version (on the left) to the latest version (on the right).
- When you're done, in the latest version of the file, click Save.
Your unsaved version of the file (on the left) is deleted.
Change system permissions on a Mac
- On your Mac, open System PreferencesSecurity & PrivacyPrivacyAccessibility.
- At the bottom, click the lock to make changes.
- Next to Drive File Stream, check Google Drive File Stream the box.
Turn off real-time presence
If you turn off real-time presence, other people won’t see you in a file.
- On your computer, click Drive File Stream .
- Click Settings Preferences.
- At the top right, click .
- Uncheck the Real time presence in Microsoft Office box.
- Click Save.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.