To reply to a message in Google Chat, you can enter text or select a suggestion if available. Use smart reply suggestions in Chat, and get responses based on the message you received.
Note: The Smart Reply feature is currently only available in English.
Important: Starting January 25, 2021, if you're based in Europe, you must indicate how we can use your Gmail, Google Chat, and Google Meet data. Through certain Gmail settings, you control, for example, whether we can share your data with other Google products. These settings are off at first and unless you turn them on, various Google product features, such as in Gmail, won’t work. For more information, see Smart features & personalization controls in Gmail, Chat, Meet, and other Google services.
Reply to a message
Tip: In a room, don't enter your reply at the bottom under New thread. If you do, it creates a new conversation thread instead of a reply.
Turn off suggestions in Chat
- At the top right, click Settings Settings.
- Under Smart Reply, uncheck the box.
- To add a person to the conversation: Enter , then enter their name.
- To add emojis to your message: Select Emoji .
- To share files from your device: Select Upload file .
- Everyone in a room can view uploaded files.
- To share files from Google Drive: Select Add Google Drive file .
- If people in a conversation or room don't have access to a Drive file, you may get a request to share the file.
- To start a video call: Select Add video meeting .