Device Policy for Android
This article applies only for Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers. Learn more about Google Apps.
Google Apps Device Policy for Android application enforces policies on your Android device that protect it should it get lost or stolen. Once you install this application on your Android, your administrator can set up security measures such as password protection so only you can sign in. And the device can be wiped remotely if you lose it.
- Android 2.2 or later
- If you receive the message "Your domain requires mobile device management. Please install the Google Apps Device Policy application to enforce security policies" on your Android device, you need to download the Device Policy app.
What do I get from using Google Apps Device Policy?
Google Apps Device Policy for Android enforces security policies for your mobile Android device. Some organizations require their users to install Google Apps Device Policy. Failure to install the app could block your mail, calendar, and contacts from syncing with your phone. Contact your IT administrator for more details.
The application can give your Google Apps administrator the ability to:
- Require that you have a PIN or password on your device.
- Require a password on your device.
- Require a screen lock for idle timeout on your mobile device.
- Wipe a lost or stolen device.
Additionally, this application gives you, the user, the ability to remotely:
- Reset PIN
- Ring Device
- Lock Device
- Locate your device
- Wipe your device (if your Google Apps administrator has enabled this setting)
Multiple Account support: Google Apps Device Policy also allows you to register the app with multiple Google Apps domains. Your device will enforce the most restrictive policy.
For example, if one domain you're syncing to requires your device PIN to be 4 characters long and another requires it to be 6 characters long, the device will enforce the 6 character limit. For more information, Google Apps administrators should see Device Policy Administration for Android.