Using Google Groups, you can share content with multiple people via a single email address. For example, you could create a group with the email address marketing-team@your_domain.com and add several members. You could then use the group's email address to share a document with everyone in the group.
If you share content with a group that contains another group, the subgroup, or child group, members have the same access to the content as the parent group members. If you remove members from a group, they lose access to content shared with the group. Learn more about subgroups or child groups.
Benefits of sharing
Sharing content lets you:
- Share resources, status updates, and more using a single team email address, instead of multiple individual email addresses.
- Change access permissions for everyone at once, instead of changing them for each person manually.
- Avoid searching for everything you’ve ever shared with someone if they leave your team. Just remove that person from the group, so they can’t access any previously shared group content.
If you add members later
Members you add to the group later can immediately access previously shared content via file URLs. However, previously shared content doesn’t automatically appear in new members’ Shared with Me view in Google Drive. For files to appear in Shared with Me, you need to reshare them with the group, or share the files with new members individually.
Sharing outside your organization
Your administrator can prevent the sharing of content with group members outside your organization. If external sharing is prohibited, only group members who are in your organization can access the group's shared content.
Share content with a groupShare a document Share a site
- Open your website in Google Sites.
- In the top right, click Share.
- Go to Invite people, enter the group email address, and click Send.
- Open your Google Calendar. Learn more
- In the upper right, click SettingsSettings.
- Under Settings for my calendars, click the calendar you want to share.
- Click Share with specific people, then click Add people.
- Enter the email address of the group that includes Google Calendar users.
- Click the Permissions Settings Down arrow, then the level of access you want to give the group.
- Click Send.
Each group member receives a sharing invitation. If you have the Who can view members permission for the group, the calendar event appears automatically on members’ calendars. If not, members must manually enter the event on their calendars.
Members must click the link in the invitation to view your calendar. Because this link works only for group members, you can safely post it on websites or send it in other email messages.
If your group includes people who don't use Google Calendar, you can share your calendar publicly.