Find answers to common questions about Google Workspace for Education editions.
AvailabilityWhat editions does Google Workspace for Education offer?
Google Workspace for Education offers the following options for your organization:
- Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals—Gives you tools to aid teaching and learning, such as Classroom, Google Meet, Google Docs, Google Forms, and Google Chat.
- Google Workspace for Education Standard (available April 2021)—Same tools as Education Fundamentals but with advanced security features and enhanced administration controls.
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade (available April 2021)—Adds enhanced video-communication capabilities, Classroom add-ons, and other features and tools to your Education Fundamentals or Education Standard edition.
- Google Workspace for Education Plus—Includes all the features in Education Standard and Teaching and Learning Upgrade with additional features for certain services, such as attendance tracking in Google Meet.
You can choose from the Education Fundamentals, Education Standard, or Education Plus editions to meet the needs of your organization. You can add Teaching and Learning Upgrade to either Education Fundamentals or Education Standard to add functionality to your edition, such as enhanced video-communication features.
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade—There is no minimum purchase requirement for Teaching and Learning Upgrade.
- Education Standard and Education Plus—Price is based on your organization’s full-time student enrollment. For example, if your school has 1,000 full-time students, you must buy at least 1,000 licenses. You get one free staff license for every 4 student licenses that you buy. You can buy additional licenses for other users who might need accounts, such as alumni.
You can upgrade your subscription at any time. Paid editions are annual subscriptions. You can’t downgrade your edition until the end of your subscription term.
- Education Fundamentals—You can add Teaching and Learning Upgrade or upgrade to Education Standard or Education Plus.
- Education Standard (Available April 2021)—You can add Teaching and Learning Upgrade or upgrade to Education Plus.
- Teaching and Learning Upgrade (Available April 2021)—If you have Teaching and Learning Upgrade along with Education Fundamentals, you can upgrade to Education Standard or Education Plus.
- Education Plus—Includes all the features available in all Google Workspace for Education editions.
|Education Fundamentals||Provides 10,000 user licenses. There’s no difference between teacher and student accounts.|
|Education Standard||Provides separate licenses for students and staff. Students and staff get the same features.*|
|Teaching and Learning Upgrade||Adds tools and functionality to your existing Education Fundamentals or Education Standard account. There’s no difference between teacher and student accounts.|
|Education Plus||Provides separate licenses for students and staff. Only users with a staff license can live-stream video meetings. All other features and capabilities are the same between student and staff licenses.*|
* You get one free staff license for every 4 student licenses that you buy.
FeaturesWhat's included in each edition?
PurchasingHow do I purchase Education Standard, Teaching and Learning Upgrade, or Education Plus?
If you’re a super administrator for your organization, you can purchase or start a free trial of Teaching and Learning Upgrade in the Google Admin console:
From the Admin console Home page, at the top left, click Menu BillingGet more services.
On the left, click Google Workspace for Education.
Next to Teaching and Learning Upgrade, click Upgrade and follow the steps.
Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals is free for all qualifying institutions. Education Standard, Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and Education Plus are paid editions.
Customers in the U.S. and Canada can see prices and feature information for each edition on the Google for Education website.
Customers outside of the U.S. and Canada who want information on prices and features can contact our sales team.
No. Education Standard and Education Plus are priced by enrollment (per student). You get one free staff license for every 4 student licenses you purchase. The minimum purchase requirement is determined by your school size.
For Teaching and Learning Upgrade, you choose how many licenses to buy.
Education Standard and Education Plus are annual subscriptions. Teaching and Learning Upgrade is a monthly subscription. Prices are locked for the duration of the subscription term.
Yes. Starting in April 2021, you can get a 60--day trial of 50 licenses for Education Standard, Teaching and Learning Upgrade, or Education Plus. For details, contact an authorized Google Workspace partner.
For Education Standard and Education Plus, you buy licenses based on your total student enrollment. You can buy any number of licenses for Teaching and Learning Upgrade.
G Suite Enterprise for Education is available at current pricing until April 14, 2021. After that, customers who want a comprehensive and comparable solution should consider the Education Plus edition. For pricing details, go to the Google for Education website.
Important: Enterprise for Education is licensed on a per-user basis. Be sure to review the number of users who need a license to ensure they get access to all features.
Introductory promotional pricing
The introductory promotional offer for G Suite Enterprise for Education full-domain licensing ended on October 31, 2020. Full-domain licensing orders that were placed before this date qualified for a 50% discount on the list price and a three-year price lock.I purchased full-domain licensing during the introductory offer. What can I expect when my subscription renews each year?