As an administrator, you control the default history setting in unthreaded Google Chat rooms. Although you set the default, users might be able to change the history setting in rooms they create, depending on whether you allow chat history changes.
Important: For threaded rooms, history is always on.
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceGoogle Chat and classic Hangouts.
- Click Chat History for Rooms.
- Set default room history to On or Off.
- Click Save.
Interaction with the chat history setting
The Admin console has a chat history setting that includes an Allow users to change their history setting option. This option can override the default unthreaded room history:
- If Allow users to change their history setting is on, the default room history setting is used for newly created unthreaded rooms. Users can change the history setting in unthreaded rooms.
- If Allow users to change their history setting is off, history is forced on or off. The chat history setting therefore overrides the default room history setting for newly created unthreaded rooms. Users can't change the history setting in rooms.
- With chat history on, Allow users to change their history setting on, and room history off, a new room will have history off. Users can change the history setting for the unthreaded room.
- With chat history on, Allow users to change their history setting off, and room history off, a new room will have history on. Chat history is forced on, which overrides the room history setting. Users can't change the history setting for the room.
Users can be excluded from rooms
If you force history on or off with Allow users to change their history setting, there might be times your users can’t join or stay in a room. When someone with a forced chat history setting creates or joins a room, the room’s chat history policy is locked to match that history setting. This means:
- People with a conflicting forced chat history setting won’t be allowed to join the room.
- If you change the chat history policy, people could be evicted from rooms with a conflicting policy the next time they try to post a message.
Conflicts are most likely to occur when a room includes external people. They can also happen if you have different forced chat history settings for different sub-organizational units.
- If history is off, messages are deleted after 24 hours.
- Vault can't hold, retain, or search messages that are sent with history turned off. Check with a Vault admin to confirm that these history settings comply with your organization's data retention obligations.
- History changes apply to new messages. For example, if a user turns room history on, only new messages are saved. If a user turns room history off, old messages that were previously saved are still saved.