Set up mobile device management automatically
This feature is available with G Suite Business and Enterprise editions. Compare editions
You can now set up management for mobile devices automatically or manually.
Step 1: Choose automatic or manual setup
- At the top right of the Admin console dashboard, click Manage Now
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, choose the option to let Google manage all mobile devices in your domain
Both of these management setup methods automatically enable management and apply default policy settings for your managed devices.
Step 2: See what setup options are in place
If you chose one of the automatic setup options, review the management features below.
|iOS® devices (Basic management)||Android devices (Advanced management)|
Step 3: Complete the enrollment process
iOS device users
- Users with G Suite accounts and a screen lock passcode in place enroll automatically.
- Users with G Suite accounts, but without a screen lock passcode in place, get a notification prompt to take account action and create a passcode for password security.
- New users who enroll any time after you have set up management have the same experience, depending on the existence of the screen lock passcode.
When the passcode is required:
- For devices with an existing, currently synchronizing G Suite account, app and corporate data synchronization halt until enrollment completes.
- After the user creates the PIN, synchronization starts (for newly enrolled devices), or resumes (for devices with an existing G Suite account).
Android device users
- Download and install a device policy app, which helps manage the device.
- Accept the creation of a work profile on the device.
This adds Android enterprise to each corporate G Suite app to visually differentiate it from Google personal apps on the device.
At enrollment time, the user can choose to not accept the work profile. However, as the administrator, you can change this from an optional choice to a requirement by setting up work profile enforcement on the Android settings card.
Accepting the work profile makes these Google mobile apps available automatically:
Calendar Drive Gmail
- Accept enrollment in management, adjusting any settings on the device that do not comply with applied policies for Android advanced management.
After Android device users complete these steps, synchronization starts (for newly enrolled devices), or resumes (for devices with a synchronizing G Suite account).
By default, your apps whitelist, which has been automatically created, makes these additional apps available:
Users can check the Google Play store for these additional, whitelisted apps.
You can manage your apps whitelist and add or remove apps. (If you have a third-party EMM provider, you can choose at any time to switch to using Google Mobile Management to manage Android apps.)
Step 4: Adjust management policies
Selected Android management policies were automatically applied when you chose automatic setup. If you want to adjust settings for any of these policies, see:
- Android settings—For policies on Android devices
- Advanced settings—For policies related to security, Google Sync, and other Google services
If you later decide to apply advanced management to iOS devices, you can also adjust iOS settings.
Next step: Manage devices
Go to the Manage devices page to view and manage devices.