Manage Google+ content sharing
As a G Suite administrator, you can control how users within your domain can share and view Google+ content. For example, you may want to restrict users in your organization from creating or interacting with external content. You can use the content sharing and access settings for Google+ to manage this in your domain.
What are the content sharing and access settings?
You can apply these settings by organization or for your entire domain:
Allow content sharing and access outside of your domain (Public mode)
Restrict all content sharing and access outside of your domain (Private mode)
Restrict all content sharing and access outside of your domain and restrict external Google+ content (Hybrid mode)
Considerations before you change this setting
Review and understand the following issues before changing the content sharing and access setting.
Allow gender and birthday editing in Google+ profiles
Users without G Suite licenses assigned
Alternate email notifications
Private and Hybrid content sharing and access settings do not prevent Google+ profiles from being visible to people outside of your organization. Information visible in Google+ profiles includes: name, profile photo, profile cover photo, G+ collections the profile owner created, and posts created by the owner that the person viewing the profile page has access to see.
Although Private mode prevents search engines from crawling profiles of your users, people outside of your organization can still see user profiles in your organization under certain circumstances.
- A user previously made external posts, which will link to their Google+ profile. Users may delete these posts. See Delete and manage activity on Google+ for more details.
- A user owns, moderates, or is a member of a Community that’s not restricted to your organization. Their entry in the list of members of that Community will link to their Google+ profile. Users may transfer Community ownership to another Google+ user, and then leave the Community.
- A user owns an externally visible Collection, which will link to their Google+ profile. Users may delete their externally visible Collections.
- A user who has circled a member of your organization chose to show people who are in their Circles.
- A user who has been circled by a member of your organization chose to show people who have added them to Circles.
- Users of some older Android clients may still be able to search for and find profiles of users in Private mode if they had previously followed those users when they were in Public mode.
Update mobile apps
Use these FAQs to answer questions from your users about Google+ content sharing and access.
What is a Google+ content sharing and access mode?
Can I still interact with all my Google+ posts or communities?
In Private mode, will I still see posts from external people and communities?
Can I join additional external communities if I'm in Private or Hybrid mode?
Can I create new external communities?
Can I keep existing external community memberships?
I am an owner/moderator of external communities. How will this be affected?
In Private or Hybrid mode, if you owned an external community, you will retain owner rights. You will be able to delete the community and manage membership options (available using Manage members in Communities). You can use membership management options to elevate a user to moderator or owner.
You will not be able to edit the community or perform moderation related actions, such as handle spam, posts held for review, or member requests.
How are my Home and Circle Streams affected?
In Private or Hybrid mode, if you were previously following external content sources (ex. communities, collections, or people outside of the domain), these streams will continue to contain content from those external sources until you do one of the following:
- unfollow the collection
- remove external users from a circle
- leave the community
- update community preferences to include "None" in the home stream.
How are my People and Circles affected?
In Private mode, you cannot add new users outside of your domain to your circles. However, you will keep existing relationships until you remove external users from your Circles. To modify circle relationships with an external user, you must remove the external user from all Circles. Note that after you remove them, you will not be able to add them back to your Circles.
Public and Hybrid mode have no impact on your People and Circles.
How are Notifications affected?
Before you change the setting
Allow 48 hours—Changes to Content and Sharing can take up to 48 hours to fully apply to users. Some setting elements may apply faster than others, but to take full effect, please allow at least 48 hours.
Communicate the changes to your users. It's important to notify your users before changing the content sharing setting. Explain why they may see different behavior within Google+, and why they can’t do things that they could before, such as posting outside of their domain.
- Think carefully about how much you restrict your users—Changing the Content and Sharing setting to be more restrictive can prevent users from modifying Communities, Collections, or posts that they already own.
Example: If a user owns a private, non-domain restricted Community while in Public mode, changing the setting to Private mode prevents the user from posting to the Community or modifying its name, description, or photo. However, this user could still promote a new user to be the owner and continue to view new content added to the Community or the user could leave the Community.
- Consider the effect on users following Communities, Collections, or people—Users who are changed from the Public or Hybrid mode to the Private mode continue to follow the same people, Communities, or Collections that they followed previously and continue to see new content from these sources, unless they unfollow them.
Change the setting
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsG SuiteGoogle+Advanced settings.
- Under Content sharing and access, choose the setting:
- Public mode
- Private mode
- Hybrid mode
- Click Save.