As an administrator, you can control how users in your organization share and view Google Currents content. For example, you might want to restrict users in your organization from creating or interacting with content outside of your organization.
What are the content sharing and access settings?
- Public mode—Users can create and view content that isn't restricted to your organization. They can also interact with Google Workspace users outside of your organization in communities that are invite-only and only open to other Google Workspace users. However, they cannot create public communities, which are open to anyone.
- Private mode (default setting)—Users can only create posts and like, follow, comment, or vote on posts or communities with people in your organization. In addition, communities are invite-only.
- Hybrid mode—Users can view content created outside of your organization but can't create or otherwise interact with external content. They can also join and view content in communities outside of your organization that are invite-only.
What about content & communities users are already part of?
- If you change the access settings for your organization, users can still view content and communities that they had access to before the change, including external content. However, they will not be able to edit external content if they previously had the ability to do so (such as moderation actions for external communities).
- If you switch to Private mode, users can still follow previous people or communities and continue to see new content from these sources, unless they unfollow them
- If you switch to Private or Hybrid mode, users will continue to get notifications from communities outside of your organization.
Learn more about how users can create communities in Currents.
Before changing content sharing settings
- Communicate the changes to your users—Explain why they might not be able to do things that they could before, such as posting outside of their organization.
- Think carefully about how much you restrict your users—Changing the setting to be more restrictive can prevent users from modifying communities or posts that they already own.
Change Currents content sharing settings
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceCurrents.
- Click Advanced settings.
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit or a configuration group.
- Click Content sharing and access and select Public mode, Private mode, or Hybrid mode
- Click Save. If you configured an organizational unit or group, you might be able to Inherit or Override a parent organizational unit, or Unset a group.
It might take up to 48 hours for changes to apply to all users.