This article is for administrators of Google Workspace for Education.
Let students and staff use Google Takeout to copy their Drive files and Gmail messages to another Google Account. For example, graduating students can copy and transfer data to their personal Google Account.
Learn about how users Copy content from a school account to another account
To manage data transfer for other Google services, such as YouTube or Google Photos, go to Allow or block Takeout for users.
What users can copy and transfer
By default, the Takeout transfer permission is turned on for all organizational units. The permission lets users download their Gmail and Drive data:
- Gmail: Copy and transfer their email (not contacts, chats, or tasks).
- Drive: Users can transfer copies of documents and folders they own in My Drive, and documents that are shared with them. However, if document owner has restricted sharing by disabling downloads and copies for commenters and viewers, the transfer process follows those settings.
No documents are deleted during the process; copies are created in the new account while the original documents remain unchanged. No data is copied if you turned off file sharing outside of your domain.
Step 1: Set transfer permissions
For this step, you need admin privileges for Organizational Units (top-level), and Service Settings.
In the Admin console, go to Menu AccountGoogle Takeout.
- Click Additional transfer permissions.
- Check or uncheck Allow users in this organizational unit to access Transfer your content.
- (Optional) To allow or not allow an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- To change, check or uncheck the setting.
- Choose one:
- If the Service status is set to Inherited and you want to keep the updated setting, even if the parent setting changes, click Override.
- If the Service status is set to Overridden, either click Inherit to revert to the same setting as its parent, or click Save to keep the new setting, even if the parent setting changes.
Note: Learn more about organizational structure.
- Click Save.