Office 365 cloud application
Using Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML), your users can use their Google Cloud credentials to sign in to enterprise-cloud applications.
Set up SSO via SAML for Microsoft Office 365
Here's how to set up single sign-on (SSO) via SAML for the Microsoft Office 365® application.Step 1: Get Google identity provider (IdP) information
From the Admin console Home page, go to Security, and then the SSO settings:
You must be signed in as a super administrator for this task.
Click Set up single sign-on (SSO) for SAML applications.
Or, if you don’t have that option:
Click Set up single sign-on (SSO).
- In the Set up single sign-on (SSO) section, do either of the following, depending on how you want to configure SSO in Microsoft Office 365:
- Copy and save the SSO URL and Entity ID, and download the Certificate.
- Download the IDP metadata file.
Next you'll switch to Office 365 to do the setup steps in Step 2. You'll return to the Admin console in Step 3 below to finish SSO configuration.
- In a new browser tab, log into your Office 365 application as an administrator.
- Set up a federation of your On-Premises Active Directory and Azure Active Directory.
You must set up the federation to execute the Active Directory PowerShell commands. Refer to the Azure Active Directory documentation for more information.
- Using the PowerShell console, set up immutable IDs for your users. Refer to the Microsoft PowerShell documentation for specific instructions.
- Using the PowerShell console, configure your federated Active Directory domain with the information you downloaded from Google in Step 1 (either the IDP metadata file, or the certificate file, SSO URL, and Entity ID). Refer to the Microsoft PowerShell documentation for specific instructions.
- Proceed to the next section to set up Google as a SAML identity provider (IdP).
- In the Admin console, click Apps > SAML apps.
- Click Add at the bottom right.
- Locate and click Microsoft Office 365 in the application list. The values on the Google IDP Information page automatically populate.
- Click Next.
The Basic information window shows the Application name and Description seen by users.
- Click Next.
- On the Service Provider Details page:
- Check Signed Response.
- Set the default Name ID to match the Immutable ID that you configured in Active Directory. Multi-value input is not supported.
Note: If the Name ID mapping for SSO configuration is not the same as the Immutable ID, you will see an error.
If you click Continue, your users might not be able to sign in.
You can click Cancel to change the mapping
- Set the NameID format to “persistent”.
- Click Next.
- On the Attribute Mapping page, set the Select category and Select user field values as follows for the listed attributes:
Application attribute Select category Select user field IDPEmail Basic Information Primary Email
- Click Finish.
- Sign in to your Admin console.
- Go to Apps > SAML apps.
- Select Office 365.
At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service .
To turn on or off a service for everyone in your organization, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
To turn on or off a service only for users in an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- Select On or Off.
- To keep the service turned on or off even when the service is turned on or off for the parent organizational unit, click Override.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
- Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about organizational structure.
- Ensure that your Office 365 user account email IDs match those in your Google domain.
- Open https://login.microsoftonline.com/.
You should be automatically redirected to the Google sign in page.
- Enter your sign in credentials.
- After your sign in credentials are authenticated you will be automatically redirected back to Office 365.
As a super administrator, you can automatically provision users in the Office 365 application.