Classic Hangouts chat settings
Before you begin, verify that the required G Suite services are turned on.
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsG SuiteGoogle Hangouts.
- Click Chat settings.
- Under Organizations, select the domain or organizational unit for which you want to configure settings.
- Adjust the settings as described.
You can modify the chat history options to determine if chat conversations should be saved.
- These options do not apply to video calls or chat within video calls.
- Changes can take up to 24 hours to take effect. Users must refresh their Gmail window to see the changes (and the new chat client option).
- Chat history changes only apply to new messages. For example, if you turn chat history off, old messages that were previously saved will still be saved. If you turn chat history on, only new messages will be saved.
|Display users' chat status outside your domain||
Each user's status is automatically shown within your domain. Check this box to show the status of users outside the domain who are in the Google network (users of G Suite and/or Gmail).
Learn more about Hangouts status messages and options.
|Warn users when having a Hangout outside your domain name||
Check this option to let users know if they are chatting with an external participant.
|Users can chat with other users outside your G Suite domain||
Uncheck this option to restrict chat to users within your organization. This setting is checked by default and does not apply to video calls.
Note: If you uncheck this box, users can’t use chat in Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
The following applies to both Hangouts chat and Google Talk:
|Automatically accept invitations between users within your domain||
To limit users to Hangouts conversations, uncheck Allow users to place voice and video call from Hangouts.
This setting doesn't apply to Meet video meetings.