To make sure your users get the most out of chat, enable Hangouts chat as the only option in your organization, and modify your domain's chat settings:
- Verify that all the required G Suite services are turned on.
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsG SuiteGoogle Talk/Hangouts.
- Click Advanced settings.
- Under Organizations, select the domain or organizational unit for which you want to configure settings.
- Adjust the settings as described below.
Select a chat option to enable Hangouts chat (default for new organizations), or a Google Talk option. You can also optionally modify the chat history options to determine if chat conversations should be saved.
|Chat option||Description||Chat history|
Hangouts chat only
(default for new organizations)
Enables Hangouts chat for all users in the organizational unit.
Existing users are switched to Hangouts chat when they refresh Gmail. Notify users by sending this sample announcement email.
Note: Users cannot see or use chat messages within shared Google docs.
|Hangouts chat or Google Talk||
Allows users to use either Hangouts chat or Google Talk.
Existing Google Talk users will need to opt in to the Hangouts chat service.
Use the Chat History options to turn history on or off by default for all users.
|Google Talk only||
Only Google Talk is enabled. Users cannot switch to Hangouts chat.
Existing users will be switched to Google Talk when they refresh Gmail.
- These options do not apply to video calls or chat within video calls.
- Changes can take up to 24 hours to take affect. Users must refresh their Gmail window to see the changes (and the new chat client option).
- Chat history changes only apply to new messages. For example, if you turn chat history off, old messages that were previously saved will still be saved. If you turn chat history on, only new messages will be saved.
- If only Google Talk or Hangouts chat are enabled, you can also prevent users from changing their chat history. If both options are enabled, users can always change this setting for each conversation (administrators cannot enforce the policy).
- If a Google Talk option is enabled, users may still be able to save conversations locally when using 3rd-party clients. This does not impact the Google Hangouts setting or policy. Hangouts-only users cannot use 3rd-party clients.
|Display users' chat status outside your domain||
Each user's status is automatically shown within your domain. Check this box to show the status of users outside the domain who are in the Google network (users of G Suite and/or Gmail).
Learn more about Hangouts status messages and options.
|Warn users when having a Hangout outside your domain name||
Check this option to let users know if they are chatting with an external participant.
|Users can chat with other users outside your G Suite domain||Uncheck this option to restrict chat to users within your organization. This setting is checked by default and does not apply to video calls.|
|Within the Google network|
|Outside the Google network|
The following applies to both Hangouts chat and Google Talk:
|Automatically accept invitations between users within your domain||
Uncheck Allow users to place voice and video call from Hangouts to limit users to Hangouts conversations. This setting is checked by default.
Use these settings to control whether your users can initiate voice or video calls.
|Allow users to place phone calls to landline and mobile phones from chat||
This option to make computer-to-phone calls is not available if your declared country is in the blocked list found here.
Within chat, this option is called Call phone.
|Allow users to place voice calls from chat to other chat users||This option enables computer-to-computer voice calls.|
|Allow users to place video calls||Allows users to start and join Hangouts video calls.|